Featured Northwestern Cabinet Co Secretary Curio Desk -- a few questions

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Lucille.b, Nov 1, 2023.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Helping out a neighbor who has this piece. This is a few years after a divorce, both he and his ex wife are dear friends of mine. This was a family piece in the house from his ex-wife's family, she doesn't want it, she and her ex are both on cordial terms so making a collective decision on what to do. Since I'm the neighborhood "antique expert" I've been enlisted to help. But I'm not great with antique (or close to) antique furniture. Hoping someone here can help.

Quick photos, and no dusting took place. The secretary has been sort of sitting in a corner unused for many years.

Also it's all one unit except for the finial, going to be heavy to move.

1) Would I call this a "Secretary Curio Desk"? A desk pops out of the top drawer. See photo 5.

2) Would this be Mahogany? 3) Would you date it to the 1940's?

Anything special about this particular one? The family side this came from had pretty nice things. Looking online it seems that it's a bit wider than some with those extra side shelves. Also did not see one with a finial exactly like this.

I know we don't do values, but I'm thinking if they could get $400 for this they'd be doing okay in the current market. Condition is quite good, but one handle missing on bottom drawer. Please chime in if I'm way too low.

aad1rs3.jpg
    Label from Northwestern Cabinet Co on back:

aad2rs2.jpg

Would this be mahogany?

aad3rs2.jpg
    Shows outside stained?? (Again...sorry for dust!)

aad4re2.jpg

A desk surface folds out from the top drawer:

aad5final.jpg

Last edited: Nov 1, 2023
    sabre123, pearlsnblume and komokwa like this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Id guess 1920s-40s .Mass produced but nicer than most. In my opinion,$400 is very ambitious but that depends on where you are .I see these in N. Fl for $100-200 and they really dont sell.

3. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

Lucille.b likes this.
  4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Agree with the above. Bigger is definitely not better in this case.

Lucille.b likes this.
  5. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Thanks for taking a look everyone. Ideally some family member would take it but I don't think any takers. I found a 2014 EBTH auction that sold for $210, but the entire thing was scratched up and even had water damage. This one is near perfect HOWEVER, I totally understand that these are a brutal sell in today's market. It's the kind of thing that if someone wanted it for a antique look in a house they might be willing to spend $400, but you could wait months or years to find that one person or for trends to change away from the modern IKEA look.

I appreciate the help with this. :)

Roaring20s, komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted