Noritake Vase with Wreath Mark

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ascot, Dec 8, 2016.

1. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

I really need some help with determining whether or not this vase is a repro. My buyer says repro based on the mark and the weight. I don't have it in hand as the buyer is returning it, which is fine with me, but I'd like to know for my own edification.

It's 9" tall, 6 5/8" handle to handle, and weighs 2 1/4 lbs. I can provide more photos of the vase if needed, but I only have the one pic of the mark.

A google search shows this shape in several sizes, different motifs. There's a similar one currently listed on Ebay.

If there are any experts out there, I'd love to hear from you. Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd say it's the real thing. Noritake generally isn't worth enough to bother faking; it would cost more to make a good fake than to get your hands on the genuine article. The mark is the real thing; my grandmother loved Morimura Brothers imports and I grew up with piles of the stuff. That mark was used from about 1910 to 1921 according to the Goteborg site, which jibes with my experience. http://gotheborg.com/marks/noritake.shtml

CheersDears and Bakersgma like this.
  3. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

Thank you, evelyb30. I really thought the vase was real. I contacted the buyer and asked why she thinks it's a fake. She said that the mark is wrong, that the H in hand painted is too fat at the bottom. She also said the vase is too heavy for Nippon, and that she could feel tiny bubbles in the glaze near the mark on the underside of the vase and that real Noritake would not have glaze bubbles (I don't see any in my photo of the base, but she says they're there). In my google search on fake marks, it says that the wreath mark has been accurately reproduced and that it's virtually impossible to tell an old mark from a new one. I'm hoping someone knows this shape and/or pattern.

4. TheOLdGuy

TheOLdGuy Well-Known Member

Can't help you on the mark, but I hope you applied your ID to the vase (Avery labels are great. Easy to get off, but has to be totally destroyed to do so.) A piece of glass left my home two days ago with two stickers and two invisible ink marks on it. Your buyer sounds just a bit too knowledgeable. :confused:

5. ascot

ascot Well-Known Member

I didn't mark the vase, though I appreciate the tip! The buyer said there were "other" signs the vase is a fake but didn't elaborate. It should arrive today and I'll definitely check to be sure it's the same one I sent.

6. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The mark looks like the one they have listed as repro. It would have fooled me. The vase itself might not in person. It's awfully pretty though.

8. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I'm sorry but I have to agree with fake. The form does not look like any Noritake shape I've ever seen. The decoration appears more Chinese than Japanese and a recessed base that deep would be unusual for Noritake. Plus, as mentioned, the mark is not correct. Noritake dinnerware is not worth faking but vases are another story. Some genuine Noritake vases can bring big bucks.
    Don

Draft saved Draft deleted