Featured Norfolk Island Pine wood turning

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by verybrad, Apr 24, 2023.

1. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Some of these by known turners get pretty pricey. Have not been able to quite make out this signature. J. Dwight ???????son. Any help?

norfolk.JPG norfolk2.JPG norfolk3.JPG norfolk4.JPG

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Beautiful.
    Norfolk Island pines are also found elsewhere, I remember there were some beautiful ones in Sydney.
    But assuming this is a souvenir from Norfolk Island, there aren't that many surnames on Norfolk Island. You could search through this list to see if any look similar:

https://surnam.es/norfolk-island

Some of the names are of Pitcairners who now live on Norfolk Island.

sabre123, bercrystal, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I would think souvenir of Hawaii given respective volumes of tourism.

Debora

4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I had no idea people on Hawaii also carved Norfolk Island pines, but why not.;) I searched some more and it seems these NI pine carved cups are made all around the globe.
    There goes the meagre income of the Norfolk Islanders.:(

5. PepperAnna

PepperAnna Well-Known Member

Woodturners can purchase pieces of Norfolk Island pine called "blanks" for making pieces such as this one.

verybrad, bercrystal and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

J. Dwight something-son. I think. There are catalogs for wood-turners of pieces to to order and mess with.

verybrad likes this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yes, that's what it looks like to my eye too.

Debora

verybrad likes this.
  8. lovewrens

lovewrens Well-Known Member

9. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

The style of it looks Hawaiian. Norfolk Pines grow very well there.
    I looked via image searches, saw some other wood turned bowls that do not appear to be Norfolk Pine mis-labeled.
    There was one labeled NIP but rather appeared to be the colorful Hawaiian Eucalyptus wood, another was labeled Monkey Pod but I doubt that one too.

J. Dwight somethingson is my guess also. I want to mention that when searching for the signature, I noticed there is an entire group of bowls signed by various wood turners in this same fashion with a wood burning tool, as though they were all in the same class together. The ones who signed with an etching tool or carving gouge aren't dark and burned in signatures. So this could be from a wood turning sculptural type educational course in wood turning, which could be available on an island for tourists to participate in too. It's beautiful and appears to have good value, from a quick look at those up for sale.

verybrad likes this.
  10. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

verybrad likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted