Featured Nils Thorsson Fajance Royal Copenhagen vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KSW, Oct 29, 2023.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Picked up today from a box of scrap ceramics.
    Tracked down to Nils Thorsson but I can’t make head nor tail of the dating system as it has pretty blurred stamp. They apparently have little dashes above or below the letters to denote the year but illegible sadly.
    Would I be right in thinking 60’s? Any thoughts please also as to the squiggle signature?
    Thankyou :)
    IMG_2822.jpeg IMG_2821.jpeg IMG_2820.jpeg IMG_2819.jpeg IMG_2818.jpeg

cxgirl, ascot, pearlsnblume and 5 others like this.
  2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

It seems the website I always used for Royal Copenhagen has gone away:sour:.

Smudgy marks are so annoying! So far this is the very limited help for dating this series of Baca pots I've found. There is this mention from a rather nice site concerning Baca and would seem to date it 1969 or later based on the mark.

"It was one of the biggest successes of Aluminia, a Danish factory of faience, established in Copenhagen in 1863. In 1882, the owners of Aluminia purchased the Royal Copenhagen porcelain factory. The factories were operated independently under their respective trade names until 1969, when the use of the Aluminia name was ended. Since then the products have been sold under the mark “Royal Copenhagen Denmark Fajance.”"

https://globusantik.wordpress.com/2018/09/10/the-baca-series/

3. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

That’s helpful, Thankyou SIS!

4. vitry-le-francois

vitry-le-francois Well-Known Member

Yes, this vase is from the 1960's but an exact year really isn't important.

Your vase actually has the Nils Thorsson mark. The circle at bottom with what looks like the upside down "5" mark is his hallmark. The squiggly signature is his, also.

Ellen Malmer and Joanne Gerber also worked on the Baca lines.

"Nils Thorsson was Artistic Director of Royal Copenhagen from 1949-1975. He developed both the Baca/Bacca and Tenera lines during the 1960s. The second mark here is set inside a circle with radiating rays. This mark identified the Bacca/Baca line."

Scroll down to near the bottom...

https://frejaswayceramics.com/Marks.htm

5. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

That’s fabulous information. Thankyou @vitry-le-francois :)

cxgirl and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted