Featured Nice Surprise 60's Poster 'The Animals'

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by bosko69, Apr 2, 2024.

1. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

I've got one of these out in the garage (I'll dig it out later).I went to this concert in the late 60's-( 1969 ?) I'll have to check mine for condition-guess it's time to enter 'deaccession' mode !
    https://results.concertpostergallery.com/lot/11039
    I knew the guys who designed this poster,2 wise old hipsters in their early 20's.The piece is printed on thick card stock similar to the 1950's letterpress Elvis & Buddy Holly originals.It appears silk-screened.

2. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Oh geez they're letting CGC "grade" posters now?? :rolleyes: I don't know how poster collectors are, but in comics and cards sometimes large pay outs are only on items CGC has slabbed. :sour:

I like the design and it's awesome that you knew them!

wlwhittier, johnnycb09 and Figtree3 like this.
  3. bosko69

As I recall it was a great show.Eric Burdon & Van Morrison are still two of my fave R&B singers (along w/ Otis,Aretha,Marvin of course).
    Yes Mirana- CGC seems to grading the whole planet now-but who's grading them ?
    PS-If you anything abt coins,you know the differences can be minuscule/microscopic in grading condition,& CGC aint' cheap,but the diff in sale price btw a 8 and a 9 is insane !

4. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Cool poster and you're fortunate to have one.

Maybe the 20 something designers were smoking some good stuff: 8PM until 12PM :facepalm:

johnnycb09 and pearlsnblume like this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Whatever they were smoking, the buyers had something even better apparently! On the other hand, if they're buying like that, I'd give them a light. :cigar::cigar::cigar::cigar::cigar:

Marote, johnnycb09 and pearlsnblume like this.
  6. bosko69

At 17 we were in awe of real 'Hippies'-& these guys did the posters ! I actually remember their company-'Halfbad Productions'. Got to know them later-Rick Von Kreugel & Jeff Bowers.
    They also did posters for a local personality, 'Lenny J' w/ Golden Star Promotions.I asked why they didn't book the Grateful Dead in '67 & they said they wanted $500 up front-way too much.

7. bosko69

Ditto Eve- Whether they're kids or my age,they def are more 'liquid' than yrs truly !

wlwhittier likes this.
  8. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

Good luck. Hope them slugs haven't beaten you to it. :pompous:

wlwhittier likes this.
  9. evelyb30

Or me. (eyeroll)

Chinoiserie likes this.
  10. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

I was talking about you :woot:

Potteryplease likes this.
  11. evelyb30

Slugs move faster than me in this weather.

Chinoiserie likes this.
  12. bosko69

I've got to clean & neaten the garage ! Thankfully we put on a new roof a few years back.

wlwhittier likes this.
  13. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Y'know, Bosko...I'm only ~5 hours away...an' tho' I don't have a pickup truck, there's enough room in my Outback to make the trip worthwhile.
    We're talkin' cleaning' out your newly roofed garage...you DO want expert help, eh? Always ready to assist an' ol' friend...don't mention it!

14. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

I have some of the hand-out size posters from Fillmore West and the Boston Tea Party

15. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

:eek::eek::eek::eek: Who do you have Bev?

16. Bev aka thelmasstuff

I'll have to dig them out and look. I know the Tea Party is the Velvet Underground. My roommate and I hung out with the Dead in SanFrancisco before they were very famous. We helped them push their car once when it died on a hill going up and they invited us to party with them. Which we did. Then we ran into a couple of them on the trolley a few days later and we went to another party. Most of the late 60s & early 70s are a bit of a blur now (and I can't just blame my age for that!). They were also friends with a guy named Owsley Stanley. ;)

17. evelyb30

..and he needed people to test things for him! Pharmaceuticals, as it were?:nurse::nurse::nurse:

18. Bev aka thelmasstuff

19. Bookahtoo

Bookahtoo Moderator Moderator

Sounds awesome Bev. I had some similar experiences at that time. I'm very glad I did. ;)

Bev aka thelmasstuff and komokwa like this.
  20. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Draft saved Draft deleted