Featured Nice little find at the Thrift, some Hummel's

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by 916Bulldogs123, Apr 8, 2024.

1. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

They are all in excellent condition too.
    I got them as the cart full of items was coming out from the back.
    Hmmm Hummel's for $3.99 each.
    I am thinking one is 1960's one 1950's and one 1940's. But I would like some expert opinions.
    100_1482.JPG 100_1485.JPG 100_1487.JPG 100_1491.JPG 100_1494.JPG 100_1496.JPG 100_1498.JPG

2. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

Good luck. Hummel collectors are dying much faster than being made.
    It seems the newer sell better than the older to the newest crowd.
    I don't even look at them at any price today.

johnnycb09 and 916Bulldogs123 like this.
  3. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I've seen them sell one here and one there. I've bought two over the years, mainly to say I'd done it - paid $2 all in. They are starting to move again occasionally, but They seem to top out a $5 to $10 each locally.

916Bulldogs123 likes this.
  5. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

My MIL had 18 or so and wanted me to sell them when she moved from a house to a small apartment. I researched each and every one, most I sold at the local flea or on eboo for about $10-$25 each depending on size and date. One I found was rare because her eyes were open, she sold for $262 on eboo.

It paid to do the research :)

6. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I picked up a few just because they were once a 'thing'. I paid like $1 each. I see Hummels in thrifts all the time and dont even bother with them.

7. BaseballGames

BaseballGames Well-Known Member

Ghastly to know (we've known for many years) that these can barely be given away anymore -- our mum (now in her 90s) has dozens and dozens of Hummels, all received by her as Christmas or birthday presents from us or our late dad, when each one of them cost us in the $100.-$200. range at upscale stores in the 1960s through the early '90s, and all of them still with huge sentimental value to her (and to us, too, at least to the extent that $100. was, to 1960s schoolboys, a fortune, which we coulda spent on more comic books -- which at least have significant value now to comix collectors!).
    Offhand, we can't put any exact date on the three you're showing (mum would know precisely when she got each), but we know she has all three examples in the standard size (the one on the left looks like the "small" version, the middle one the "large," that on the right the "standard"), and obtained each of them earlier than the mid-1970s...

8. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Me, too. I didn't think they had value anymore... though I suppose there may be the occasional exception.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2024
  9. lvetterli

lvetterli Well-Known Member

Last year I went to an estate sale where there were hundreds of Hummels, all were $5 each. I didn't have the time to research them so I just picked and chose a dozen or so. I just sold 6 at $20-$30 each. The first pair I sold was the boy and girl each under an umbrella, the large size. Those sold over $100 each. I put my last 4 out. I would buy more if they show up for cheap.

Linda

10. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

If you have Google image you can get the style name of each which would help tremendously with research. Sometimes the larger versions have a premium, so make sure you are comparing apples to apples.

6 years ago I walked into our GW and they had an entire case of Hummels, maybe 20-30 for $9.99 each. I definitely paused, three decades earlier they would have retailed for $80-120 a piece on the second hand market. I looked a few up online to the best of my ability but nothing I searched was really selling, so wound up passing on them. The following day they had all been purchased.

As Marie stated, a rare one it can still bring good money, so smart to check.

Draft saved Draft deleted