Featured Nice heavy large serving fork for cheap

Discussion in 'Silver' started by MrNate, Jun 5, 2018.

1. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Hi again everyone,

This is just a quick one, because it isn't anything too amazing. Managed to sift through the flatware and find a nice heavy large sterling serving fork, it weighs 57 grams and I bought it for 30 cents!

IMG_4005.JPG
    IMG_4006.JPG
    IMG_4007.JPG
    IMG_4008.JPG

judy, pearlsnblume, Aquitaine and 6 others like this.
  2. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

3. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

The NOSE never quits, the nose hunts every day until all mistreated silver is returned to a loving, caring owner.

judy, pearlsnblume, Aquitaine and 4 others like this.
  4. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

How long is it, Nate? The one thicker tine isn't usual on a serving fork. Most often seen on individual pastry or cake forks.

judy, pearlsnblume, kyratango and 2 others like this.
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

1942 Castle Rose pattern.

http://www.sterlingflatwarefashions.com/Patterns/RoyalCrest.html

The sorting staff at the shop where you found it probably didn't recognize the Royal Crest name assumed it wasn't sterling. As you can see in the link, they didn't make many patterns (and didn't last long as a company, I guess.)

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

For 30 cents I'd have bought that too! Today I went thrifting and spent a quarter myself, but mine was on a lucite pendant. Melt value ... nil.

judy, kyratango and MrNate like this.
  7. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

8. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Ah yes, I'm obviously not great with the vernacular and descriptions of these things. It's the same one as SBSVC showed, 8 1/4 inches long.

kyratango and SBSVC like this.
  9. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Bakersgma, my observation of the stores I'm going to, the sorting staff probably wouldn't recognize even the most common silver makers. My best guess is they get a very basic training on what to look for, but the fact that they are screening all these different categories (housewares, furniture, flatware, electronics, shoes and clothing etc. etc. etc.) leads to imperfections of stocking. Even if they knew everything about every category, it is more profitable for the company to quickly get the new stock out on the floor rather than to spend precious time sifting for one sterling fork. I'm just capitalizing on the reality of that business model. They probably catch 95% of the valuable stuff before it ever reaches the store, but because they turn so much product, that 5% is definitely worth my time.

judy, pearlsnblume, kyratango and 5 others like this.
  10. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Since we are on the topic, here is the rest of my collection of flatware, everything in the picture has been found at thrift stores between August 2017 and now.

IMG_4035.JPG

11. SBSVC

SBSVC Well-Known Member

Nice horde, Mr. Nate!

judy, kyratango and MrNate like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

I thought you meant the nose.:hilarious:

13. Cronker

Cronker Active Member

As an employee of a thrift store, I can say that a lot of good stuff doesn’t get held back from the store front. As mentioned, the items often go through unqualified hands, and likewise, not many people know what they are looking at.
    As an example, after my two days off, I came back to work to find a pristine Nao figurine priced at $3. Savvy collectors know when I’m working, and tend not to come in, although I price quite cheaply because we need stock churn.

14. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

Very nice Mr. Nate

I can say that the Thrift Stores near here, definitely hold back stock till they have researched it and looked on ebay for a price. These people really should not be in this business.

In one thrift shop,
    I can see the stock room and it is chock full of stuff that should be on the floor but is instead waiting for the manager to go online to check out how much she should overly price it for before it leaves that room. If she thinks it is vintage, she will mark the item vintage and thinks that justifies a over retail price.

I really have pretty much stopped going there because things are so overpriced and the stock hardly moves, that it is not fun. Plus they are a bunch of sour faces to deal with. It used to be my best place to go to. Not anymore.

But glad others are finding goodies.

15. coreya

coreya Well-Known Member

Since we are showing hoards here's mine collected over the last 2 years at garage sales and the very occasionally thrift store. Most were black when I got them. :cigar::cigar::cigar: BTW nice find on the fork!

101_0912-1.jpg

Any Jewelry, SBSVC, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  16. AuDragon

AuDragon Well-Known Member

A name change from Corey to Aladdin?? ;)

Any Jewelry likes this.
  17. MrNate

MrNate Well-Known Member

Coreya,

Your collection is beautiful! I have never tried garage sales, I should give it a shot. PS: I like the quote you use at the bottom of your postings, I had that as my College Graduation quote.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted