Newcastle or Chester Mark on sterling toast rack

Discussion in 'Silver' started by laura9797, Jan 25, 2024.

1. laura9797

laura9797 Well-Known Member

I believe this dates to mid 20th century but the city stamp has me puzzled. There is the panther head - London - but also looks like either the Newcastle or Chester mark. I am thinking it is the Chester mark but not sure of the silversmith? SO many TW marks but I am not finding mid 20th? There is a Newcastle maker Thomas Wheatley but any help would be greatly appreciated. IMG_4568.JPG toastresized.jpg

johnnycb09 and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Bronwen, johnnycb09 and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. laura9797

Thank you. I couldn't find the date code for London with the letter so this makes sense! I completely ignored the sovereign's head!!!

4. silvermakersmarks

silvermakersmarks Well-Known Member

I can confirm Newcastle 1833. There was also a T date letter in 1809 but this is the later one as the T does not fill the punch. TW is Thomas Wheatley.

The Newcastle mark represents 3 castles and the Chester mark has 3 wheatsheaves with a sword through the middle. For this period there are far more Newcastle pieces than Chester, the latter being extremely rare.

Phil

komokwa, bluumz, Bronwen and 4 others like this.
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Thank you, Phil!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  6. laura9797

So very helpful! Usually sterling marks aren't that confusing for me but I rarely come handle anything related to Newcastle and the hallmark wasn't making that much sense with the panther head. I thought a toast rack circa mid century was so strange and now I know why :D

johnnycb09 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted