Newbie queries re: Miss Blanche cigarette case

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by KylieS, Jul 5, 2023.

1. KylieS

KylieS Well-Known Member

Hello all! Just picked up this cheap and cheerful vintage cigarette case branded Miss Blanche - I thought I would be able to find loads of them online, but drawing a blank on search. Seems in was a cool early 20th century brand (at least from the poster art I've found) but I don't know how to describe this item properly for tobacciana collectors or any idea how to price it. Since it's branded so heavily, is it a fancy tin? Or would you call it a case? And what is the material likely to be? Any help or direction to resources online would be SO welcome! Thank you for looking

2. KylieS

KylieS Well-Known Member

3. KylieS

KylieS Well-Known Member

@Bakersgma here are the images! Not sure what happened there :hilarious:

4. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Try searching "Victoria Egyptian Cigarette Company".

KylieS and Figtree3 like this.
  5. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Vittoria Egyptian Cigarette Company... It appears they may have been based in the Netherlands? Or at least, there are a lot of web pages in that country that depict their wares.

Any Jewelry and KylieS like this.
  6. KylieS

KylieS Well-Known Member

Thank you for those pointers @moreotherstuff and @Figtree3 ! Managed to find it with both those snippets of information - there is a museum catalogue listing of this exact case as follows:

"Cigarette box, cigarette case flat chrome plated 'MISS BLANCHE CIGARETTES'
    date of manufacture 1940 - 1955

Description
    Cigarette box. Flat metal chrome box for approximately 12 cigarettes with elastic straps. Obverse decorated with a square of volutes in which a cartouche without text. Reverse in a circle 'MISS BLANCHE CIGARETTES' Where under 'THE VITTORIA EGYPTAIN CIGARETTE CY' The box hinges on the long side. Box for storing and carrying cigarettes.

Identification

Type of object
    Packaging material

Dataprovider
    Jan Anderson Regional Museum "

So that's really helpful obviously ; )

I also found someone trying to sell this same for 55 swiss francs - but seems a little on the high side compared to other branded boxes. I think it's really cute, and like the feminine branding, but not sure where to aim price wise - do you think that seems reasonable?

7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes, in Rotterdam.

Figtree3, Aquitaine and KylieS like this.
  8. Robert Ransom

Robert Ransom Well-Known Member

I would compare the condition of your item with one selling for 55 SW, then adjust your price accordingly.

Figtree3 and KylieS like this.