newbie is coming to antique world with bunch of questions

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by migutz, Aug 14, 2016.

1. migutz

migutz New Member

hey all......

warm greets from me,i just moved in to Paris but originally from Indonesia ;)

recently i am in touch with some friends who owns antique items but they have no ideas about the stuff they have.

antique has been in my interest couple years ago but i have no chance yet to know or learn it in certain point that can train my skill to understand each item because it always long stories following an antique item I think.

here hopefuly i will gained more and more information that will and keep my mind aware that antique will be additional experiences.

with my first move i will have several posts for the antique items i would like to know and get some opinions from all of you guys :)

have nice weekend and cheers
    migutz

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
    KingofThings likes this.
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Welcome! :)
    Where are you located?

3. migutz

migutz New Member

thank you, i did edit my post..... :)

KingofThings likes this.
  4. KingofThings

Oh! I see!... Oui! :)
    I have a little Le Tour Eiffel key chain right sitting next to me here!

5. Poisonivy

Poisonivy Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome.

KingofThings likes this.
  6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Greetings, Migutz!

KingofThings likes this.
  7. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Hola, and welcome!

KingofThings likes this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

welcome

KingofThings likes this.
  9. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I tend to click away from a page with "long stories" regarding an antique. I don't want to read stories, only want the facts and truths when I buy. Best wishes to get to the truth and welcome to our group.

KingofThings likes this.
  10. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Museums are good if you don't overdo it. Little and often and there are some great museums in Paris. Forget the super famous ones with the megamillion objects, find smaller ones with a more domestic type of collection.

I learned a lot of my stuff at auction rooms, the catalogue tells you what stuff is (most of the time) and you can handle and examine it, which you cannot do in museums.

Museums are ruined for me now, I keep seeing stuff like that I have bought and sold locked up in glass cases. But you cannot beat them for that first perspective on things.

The most vital thing to understand is that our antiques are yesterday's everyday stuff. Most of it changed style very slowly, and almost everyone copied almost everyone else. In the same way all modern cars look much alike, so do all 17th C spoons and 18th C longcase clocks and late 19th C furniture.

In the same way that you could probably, right now, wander the streets of Paris and roughly date every car you saw, so once you have the basic idea of how things looked in an historical period, so you can do the same with antiques as you see them.

It does take a while. Try to start with a narrow focus and widen your scope as you get the idea.

migutz and KingofThings like this.
  11. KingofThings

When I went to Paris, etc. I found my; 'Let's Go!' travel book to be very informative to finding odd places to visit.

migutz likes this.
  12. migutz

migutz New Member

olllaaallaaa i got lot of warm greets though.... thank you so much i really appreciate it.

looking at all the buildings in paris (in specific) or france (in general) sometimes give me a feeling like i am walking at the museum though :)........

maybe because long time ago my father used to explain historical and some background over piece he found from our grandparents old box, i felt like i heard stories of the past directly mmmmhhh most of them are "touched" me and i still can remember those stories over items.

but now adays especially in several cities I've visited several of local they tend into creating stories of the past mouth by mouth, but then if you realized the stories are hard to believe whether it was valid or just legend....... sadly......

KingofThings likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted