Newbie and neophyte about antiques

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by tellrobin, Aug 27, 2024.

1. tellrobin

tellrobin New Member

Hello everybody. I actually know very little about antiques so I'm hoping to glean from your collective experience and expertise. My 87 yo father has been a collector of random things over the years, not necessarily because they had any value, but because people would give him things over the years instead of cash payment. I'm just trying to find out more about it as well as other items of his we discover. My parents recently moved off of the old family farm after 50 years so dad had "treasures" stored in many places. Their new home has a 4000 sq ft shop so I'm helping him go through things and sell what might be of value. He recently gave me what appears to be a satsuma urn which is very beautiful and very ornate. It is in excellent condition.
    I look forward to getting to know y'all. Robin

Attached Files:

2. tellrobin

tellrobin New Member

Also, there are no markings on it. It's 19" tall and 11" at widest point.

kyratango likes this.
  3. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Welcome! You should post your urn in the Pottery section. Don't forget to hit the "Full Image" button on your image uploads. It might also help to take future photos on a plain background that's not as busy as the piece. ;)

You probably are already aware, but in case you aren't, using Google lens on your phone when you're going through things may help speed up the selling process. Post anything you're unsure about or you think is really cool to share!! :D

4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hi @tellrobin, and WELCOME!! I hope you don't mind.......I cleared the background out and am re-posting FULL sized........helps others to help you with your Urn....which was hard to see in that busy background!! And it is lovely, but I personally know little about....BUT others WILL!!!!

Japanese Urn.jpg

lovewrens, kyratango, Boland and 7 others like this.
  5. tellrobin

tellrobin New Member

Thank you so much for your advice and information. At my age, I'm only marginally computer literate and pretty new to these kinds of threaded groups.

kyratango, Any Jewelry and mirana like this.
  6. tellrobin

tellrobin New Member

Thank you Aquitaine. I don't mind at all. this is very helpful and I'll put this image up on the thread.

kyratango, Marote and Any Jewelry like this.
  7. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the party, tellrobin :)

kyratango, Marote and pearlsnblume like this.
  8. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

10. crowleys

crowleys Well-Known Member

Welcome...can't wait to see more of your treasures.

kyratango likes this.
  11. kyratango

kyratango Bug jewellery addiction!

Welcome on board, Robin!

12. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

13. tellrobin

tellrobin New Member

thanks everybody

Draft saved Draft deleted