Featured New to Antiquing because I found this vase :)

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Steve Johnson, Oct 3, 2021.

1. Steve Johnson

Steve Johnson New Member

E78A0A0A-5C4D-48E1-8119-9A6DA0C9FE3F.jpeg 36949D38-511D-4E2A-B8C2-028511B6658F.jpeg Hello! I recently inherited three vases and in researching them learned that they belonged to my great-great aunt. She was born in 1876. If they are older than that I can’t tell. Based on what I can see they are in the Satsuma style. I cannot find any identifying marks, clan marks etc. I’d like to nail this down and would appreciate any direction you could give me.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2021
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Moved to Pottery Forum.

LauraGarnet02 and judy like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Welcome, Steve! Are there any marks on the bottom?

4. Steve Johnson

Steve Johnson New Member

nothing. I looked carefully in case they were faint. Nothing inside the vase or on the inside of the lid. I actually forgot to take a pic of the lid but it has a dragon on it with one front paw on what looks like a ball

5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

There's no question that it's Japanese. Beyond that I have no idea.

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

She was born in 1876.

are you suggesting she got these as a christening gift ?

BoudiccaJones, LauraGarnet02 and judy like this.
  7. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

As you have already noted they are Japanese Satsuma ware made for export. The style is suggestive they date from around 1890 to 1920. As they are unmarked it is not going to be possible to date them more accurately nor determine the maker/artist. Many 100's of makers and artists produced similar work, most pieces were produced in volume in factories by pieceworkers.

8. Steve Johnson

Steve Johnson New Member

All I know for sure is that according to our family history, she had them by the time she was married at age 22. That could mean they were a present, but newlyweds couldn’t really afford something so nice at the outset so it may have been a wedding gift from her own mother

LauraGarnet02, Bronwen and komokwa like this.
  9. Steve Johnson

Steve Johnson New Member

was it common for pieces to be unmarked?

LauraGarnet02 and Bronwen like this.
  10. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Do they all have lids? A lid makes it...not a vase.

LauraGarnet02, Bronwen and komokwa like this.
  11. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

Yes very common, about 50/50 marked/unmarked from my experience.

LauraGarnet02 and Bronwen like this.
  12. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

These wouldn't have been hugely expensive in their time, they were made in volume and would have been easily affordable by a middle class family and even for more well off working class.

13. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

The absence of "Made in Japan" or some such legend dates them before the early 1920s when that marking became required for import.

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  14. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

That's often written, but it's not correct. Items from China and Japan were not routinely marked in Latin script until post WW2. During the inter war period in some cases they would have paper stickers on which are no longer present, and in other cases just the packaging was marked. The requirements were also sometimes ignored completely.

komokwa likes this.
  15. Cherryhill

Cherryhill Well-Known Member

Thanks, I wasn't aware....so much for the history of imports...

16. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Paper labels were in use right into the 1980s, so a missing label means precisely nothing.

Draft saved Draft deleted