New Question On This Painting

Discussion in 'Art' started by kraftblue, Jan 10, 2024.

1. kraftblue

kraftblue Well-Known Member

So I posted this painting a bit back, I was going to try to partially take it out of the frame to look for a signature. I don't see how it is held into the frame, any ideas?

art1.jpg art8.jpg

2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Tear away as much of the paper close to the stretcher as you can and you will probably see.

If this is a label, try to work around it:
    00000ccab.jpg

I'd use fingers and maybe something like a bread-and-butter knife (relatively thin and very dull) to lever up the paper where it's loose. All you need to see is one connector and you will know what to look for.

If in doubt, leave it alone. Maybe take it to a framer and ask them.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2024
    Any Jewelry, Figtree3, mirana and 2 others like this.
  3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Nothing on that label is legible?

Debora

4. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Not being able to see the sides or zoom, I'm going to say either long nails or staples driven through the stretchers into the frame. Usually they take a little digging to pry them out. Or you can snip them. Definitely remove the paper to find out.

5. kraftblue

Thanks More, hopefully I can do this today.

Debora, partial label from G. Fox & Co. from Hartford CT. Not much writing but this painting was given as a gift to someone.

Mirana, hard to say, usually any painting I had it was obvious how it was held to the frame.

Thanks everyone for your input

mirana likes this.
  6. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Makes me wonder if the oil paint itself has it stuck in place? Be gentle! :)

7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

I think @mirana is probably correct, but you'll have to find one of the nails to know.

mirana likes this.
  8. kraftblue

Found a few tiny nails that held it in. No signature. Think I will leave it out of the frame. Will have to take new pictures.

antidiem, mirana and moreotherstuff like this.
  9. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Easy to put back in if you like the frame, or if you find another. Put the painting back into the frame and measure the distance between the back of the frame to the top of the stretcher. Go to your hardware store and pick up some off-sets and screws. You really only need to screw into the frame and the tab will hold the stretchers.

61Btxa7GXVL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

David Broom likes this.
  10. kraftblue

Mirana thanks, will see if I can find any.

mirana likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted