New or Repro Copper Covered Pan w/Lid

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Jaime Riggs, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Jaime Riggs

Jaime Riggs Well-Known Member

Hi everyone, need help, this is not my area of expertise, is this an old piece or repro? Copper on outside and bottom, some type of silver metal inside. Very large about 12" across with riveted on metal handles. TIA!! copper1.jpg copper2.jpg copper5.jpg copper6.jpg copper4.jpg copper3.jpg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

If it's old, the "silver metal" should be tin. The handles would normally be brass. A lot of this, again if old, was made in France. You didn't mention any markings. Have you looked carefully all over?

komokwa likes this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

New copper pans can also be tin-lined. Some people prefer tin.
    I wouldn't call it repro, these are still being made. Some people prefer to cook in copper pans, because of the heat conductivity. And they are very decorative. Yours is a very nice and useful shape and size.
    I still have a set, 1970s-80s French made tinned copper, stamped by a well-known firm. Forgot which one, but a well-known stamp is good for the value.
    I have become so clumsy over the years that I now use ceramic-lined pans, no burning. If I cook at all.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
    Figtree3, Bakersgma and judy like this.
  4. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I have a modern set of this sort of pan, bought in about 2002. They were made in Europe and are copper-clad stainless steel with cast iron handles. Yours do look older than my set.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  5. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi,
    I had my copper pans (antique) re tinned about ten years ago. I have one sauce pan that needs it now but there is no one around here who does it!!! I saw an ad to have it done by sending it away. To have my pan done will be about 50 bucks. That is what I paid 10 years ago to have 9 pieces done. I guess I will have to use another pan. I really like this one or perhaps it's just that I am used to it. Anyone have any suggestions where I can get it done?
    greg

Any Jewelry and Figtree3 like this.