Featured New furniture mystery!

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Laura808, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Laura808

Laura808 Member

Aloha everyone! I am starting a couple of new projects today, and I have a question about a little dresser (?) that I picked up at a thrift store. I don't know what style of furniture to even call it: is it a dresser? How old do y'all think it may be? Would you call it french country style? Etc, etc......
    It has markings on the back of the drop pulls that say RD 127297, but my camera is being a twerp so you can't really see it in the pictures. Any and all input is appreciated! Hope everyone is having a wonderful Aloha Friday!!! Thanks in advance!
    upload_2017-8-4_13-9-50.png upload_2017-8-4_13-10-8.png upload_2017-8-4_13-11-18.png upload_2017-8-4_13-10-20.png upload_2017-8-4_13-10-50.png

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The RD should mean English. "Registered design"

3. Laura808

Laura808 Member

Thank you!

Christmasjoy and KingofThings like this.
  4. Bakersgma

And that number is in the range used during 1889. That means the hardware design was registered then, not necessarily that the pieces themselves were manufactured in that year. It's also possible that these are replacements pulls.

5. Laura808

Laura808 Member

You are amazing! Thank you so much!!!

6. Bakersgma

:shy: Not amazing, it's all in having the right books in hand.

7. Laura808

Laura808 Member

The right tools are important, but knowing how to use them is the most important part. Thanks again!!!!

8. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Please tell us you arent going to paint that lovely finish ! Id say it was around 1900, give or take.

9. Laura808

Laura808 Member

Unfortunately, the finish isn't quite as lovely as it appears in the photos :sorry: It's raised and bubbly and one of the drawers is cracked down the middle. Also, it has some termite damage on the sides towards the bottom, which is pretty common for Hawaii. I've already had it termite-treated, but I have to patch the damage that has been done. :grumpy: After I finish patching it up, I'll have to sand it, but I am going to try and stain it back to as close to the original finish as possible, if I can!

10. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

No reason to believe that the hardware is not original to the piece. Turn of the century and English to my eye.

11. James Conrad

James Conrad Well-Known Member

Agreed! The internet has greatly accelerated the speed of research but the bad news is, there is as much or more of wrong information as correct info. One still has to know the subject matter well to distinguish between the two.
    GOOD LUCK! on restoring your dresser, the pulls are called "teardrop" pulls, popular in the william & mary period.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
Draft saved Draft deleted