Neophyte looking for info about satsuma urn

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by tellrobin, Aug 27, 2024.

1. tellrobin

tellrobin New Member

I actually know very little about antiques so I'm hoping to glean from your collective experience and expertise. My 87 yo father has been a collector of random things over the years, not necessarily because they had any value, but because people would give him things instead of cash payment. My parents recently moved off of the old family farm after 50 years so dad had "treasures" stored in many places. Their new home has a 4000 sq ft shop so I'm helping him go through things and sell what might be of value. He recently gave me what appears to be a satsuma urn which is very beautiful and very ornate. It is in excellent condition. It doesn't have any markings or painted stamps on the bottom. It's 19" tall and 11" wide in the middle. I can post other pics against a plane background if needed.

Attached Files:

kentworld and Potteryplease like this.
  2. tellrobin

tellrobin New Member

A kind soul cleaned up the image for me. thanks Aquitaine.

Attached Files:

3. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

Welcome tellrobin, it’s important post a picture of the bottom of ceramics even if there’s no marks on it, thanks. Oh and press full size for pictures.

mirana and Aquitaine like this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

You're most welcome.....but when posting images, the very TOP of the list says "FULL IMAGE".....that's what you'll need to click on as well, in the future!! Being a world-wide site, you could have quite a few folks looking at your images!!:happy::happy::)

upload_2024-8-28_10-56-32.jpeg

5. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Yes, need a pic of the base. But that is huge! And quality decoration, so it is worth some research because it may be worth a good dollar.

Aquitaine, Bakersgma and Houseful like this.
  6. tellrobin

tellrobin New Member

Thank you all for your wise counsel. I will take some pics when I get home from work tonight and post pics as advised.

Aquitaine likes this.
  7. tellrobin

tellrobin New Member

8. tellrobin

tellrobin New Member

Urn2.jpg close up of urn w/o lid

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I would say the ...not for food sticker...... shows a more recent vintage

10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, your father's impressive urn isn't antique. The stickers tell us it's a modern Made in China decorative piece. Here is another, a plate, which appears to be from same source.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203879222452

Debora

Last edited: Aug 29, 2024
    mirana likes this.
  11. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

Ah, the new photos show that is it 20th c. Q.C # may mean "quality control" which points to mass production. That said, it is an impressive size and would have some value as a decorative piece.

komokwa and Potteryplease like this.
  12. tellrobin

tellrobin New Member

I agree, thanks

komokwa likes this.
  13. tellrobin

tellrobin New Member

Even though it's not an antique, I wonder how to determine the approximate time this urn was made? Any ideas?

14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The last twenty years or so? Since Chinese imports became ubiquitous.

Debora

15. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

maybe 30 years.......... but not much more..

16. tellrobin

tellrobin New Member

probably right. thanks

komokwa likes this.
  17. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Fyi, we often suggest using eBay's Completed & Sold listings to get an idea of collector interest and resale value.

Debora

mirana likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted