Neoclassical Roman/Greek Bronze Urn - Grand Tour?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by J Dagger, Jul 13, 2020.

1. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

D64A9D31-9FCB-404A-A11F-901B5E92AE8E.jpeg 7925163C-6C51-4360-BA9D-C3801BF7D01F.jpeg 06A4E961-4D63-4C10-8BB1-14CCCE62C1E5.jpeg 1618E1ED-32D9-494B-84B8-0A0B01FE91CF.jpeg Picked up this urn recently and hoping to get a better idea of a date for it. Has a Greek, Roman, Neoclassical vibe. Wondering if maybe it’s a late Grand Tour era souvenir? Guessing it’s not earlier than mid 19th? Any thoughts?

lovewrens and aaroncab like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Can we see the other decorations around the side? Trying to see if there is one coherent scene or just a file of random figures.

J Dagger likes this.
  3. J Dagger

Same scene both sides with this lady on either side. F2616241-C118-43C1-8B11-BE821C5958C1.jpeg

4. Bronwen

It's a scene of a bacchanale. She's a bacchante (or maenad) carrying a staff called a thyrsus; her head is thrown back because she is caught up in the intoxicating doings. The double flute is the instrument associated with the revels, & since the figure playing it is draped in an animal skin (usually panther), he may be meant to be the god Dionysus/Bacchus himself. I see one man is lugging a cask of wine; can't see what the other is doing. Ivy vine around the top also ties in. Absolutely no idea what the fowl are doing there & the handles are very odd. It's a take on this sort of thing, which is Imperial Roman:

upload_2020-7-13_21-30-5.png

Think you're correct that it is no older than mid-19th century, possibly much newer than that. Doubt it was a souvenir. An item of home decor. Maybe someone will have something to add on technical grounds.

J Dagger, patd8643 and i need help like this.
  5. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Quality seems rather nice.

J Dagger, Bronwen and i need help like this.
  6. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
    J Dagger, Bronwen and patd8643 like this.
  7. Bronwen

The remaining figure, dancing with cymbals, is a satyr, so guy with the wine is probably a silenus. The handles are just plain weird, more Egyptian than Greek.

J Dagger and i need help like this.
  8. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Yes, they aren’t typical. Egyptian fits. :joyful:

J Dagger and Bronwen like this.
  9. J Dagger

Thanks for the description of events! It definitely looks like a wild scene of intoxication. I guessed it was a lion but a panther would work! I only meant a souvenir as in something one might bring back from Europe on trip, not like a literal souvenir. I love almost anything with figural handles. Even if they don’t fit with the scene, which I agree with, I love them!

Bronwen likes this.
  10. J Dagger

You are really good at finding exact or damn close matches! Thanks! I figured I would be very, very lucky to get 15-20% of that ask.

Bronwen likes this.