Neoclassical? And what kind of print?

Discussion in 'Art' started by Malkim62, Jul 10, 2023.

1. Malkim62

Malkim62 Well-Known Member

Good morning. Thanks in advance for any help at all. It's really appreciated. Does anyone know what to call the style, neoclassical or Roman or? And what kind of print is it? No dots. Thanks again.

Dale

roman1.jpg roman2.jpg roman3.jpg roman2.jpg roman4.jpg roman4.jpg roman1.jpg roman2.jpg roman3.jpg roman4.jpg roman5.jpg roman5.jpg

Boland likes this.
  2. Malkim62

Sorry for the double pics. Having a little trouble today

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Could/would you post an in focus close-up photograph of the stamp on the back?

Debora

4. Malkim62

It's very blurry. I found someone else's though. It's Universal Picture Frame and Art Co. Chicago.

Thanks...Dale

Figtree3 and Boland like this.
  5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

At the same address?

Debora

6. Malkim62

Yes. Same stamp

Dale

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Here's the source for one. Given the dates, it would be considered Neo-Classical. As yours carry inventory numbers, I would think they're copyrighted decorative prints. The only date reference to Universal Picture & Art Co. I can find is 1946. Given their softly gilded frames and the works' palette of grays, pinks and turquoise, I suspect yours are a tad later -- 1950s.

https://lovelyantiqueprints.com/products/mythology-ancient-world-statues-mercury-hermes-1

Debora

image_43398940-cd87-48c8-a679-a03c4814697d_1024x1024@2x.jpg

8. Malkim62

Thank you very much!

Dale

9. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

A search for "Wicar pierres gravees antiques" is quite fruitful. I have 4 on my wall in a gold/black/pink color scheme that certainly smacks of the 1950s.

These purport to be drawings of antique (in this context meaning an antiquity, not just 100 years old) engraved gems, but the more I look at them, the more I see neoclassical fabrications, inspired by Roman gems, not true copies.

You have a scene of a calf on its way to sacrificial slaughter & what I would call the Genius of Orpheus, but is probably more likely to be found as Cupid with a lyre (it's a kithara, but hey...) on a lion.

10. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

The link that Deborah provided gives the original prints an 18th C date, but yours seem to be much later photo-mechanical reproductions, probably contemporary with the frames. I would guess a French printer given the logo on each:
    00.jpeg

The source material was engraved gems in the Pitti Palace in Florence, Italy, and the original prints were hand colored etchings - but not colored like these. These suggest that the original function as records of the gems had been discarded, and they were now considered just decorative images.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2023
    Figtree3, kyratango, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  11. Malkim62

Thank you for all the replies! I really appreciate all the help.

Dale

silverbell and Bronwen like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted