Neiman Marcus Macau Miniature vases Age?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by 916Bulldogs123, Aug 2, 2017.

1. 916Bulldogs123

916Bulldogs123 Well-Known Member

I have these small vases, look hand painted? from Neiman Marcus Macau. The tallest one is 3 3/4" tall. I was told they were from the late 1930's,or early 40's but that's why i am here to find out more.
    They do appear to be hand done and i am not sure if they are porcelain. And i don't see a made in, Just Macau.

Mikey

atree 19789.jpg
    atree 19795.jpg
    atree 19794.jpg
    atree 19790.jpg
    atree 19791.jpg
    atree 19792.jpg
    atree 19793.jpg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Macau is a "Made in."

Debora

3. 916Bulldogs123

I am not understanding Debora

s-l1600.jpg

Christmasjoy likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Macau is a former Portuguese colony in China, near Hongkong, and currently has the same status as Hongkong, with more freedom than in the rest of China.
    The bodies of Macau porcelain are often made in China proper, and decorated in Macau. The Macau style is generally Cantonese (very decorated, bright colours) except in a more demure way, with muted colours. Occasionally there is Portuguese influence in the design.
    These Neiman Marcus commissioned vases show Portuguese influence, those blue 'cracks', a fun detail that is also seen on some Portuguese pottery and 'azulejos', wall tiles.

5. Christmasjoy

Christmasjoy Well-Known Member

Macau is on the south coast of China Bulldogs, that's where your little vases were made :) .. Joy.

Ghopper1924 and judy like this.
  6. Christmasjoy

OOPS, SORRY AJ, posted about the same time as you .. your reply was FAR more informative than my meagre attempt, Joy.

7. Any Jewelry

?:confused::)

Great minds, Joy;)

8. Christmasjoy

MMmm .. should have been a comma after China, :( .. Joy.

Ghopper1924, judy and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

:) I get it. Early morning here, brain hasn't woken up yet.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2017
  10. 916Bulldogs123

thanks all.
    Maybe i should have phrased it a little better. i know where Macau is and it's history, But was asking because it didn't say "Made in Macau" like some later pieces would it be a way of dating them? I am also looking for a China Bulldog haha

I did find a blown glass one i like though

s-l1600 (1).jpg

11. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

Its "cute", but it has no where NEAR the personality of the "real deal" in your avatar.........................the glass one is just a trifle trite and "babbity".......................

916Bulldogs123 likes this.
  12. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Bulldogs, I think the absence of the "made in" is just because the bottom is small. They wanted to be sure to get a big "Neiman Marcus" in and also "Macau".

I could be wrong but I would put these at 1960s-1970s. I think that is when U.S. companies were commissioning pieces from Macau. This is just going on a rough memory, though.

13. Does anyone know how much the set of 4 miniature vases made in Macau from Neaman&Marcus cost?

14. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I doubt they are worth very much. Blue and white porcelain from China/Macau was all the rage back in the 1970's and on Even today it is not difficult to find miniature vase sets in this style. Value is primarily decorative - in other words, what someone would pay for them based solely on how pretty they are.
    Don

Any Jewelry and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted