Featured Needlepoint room divider/privacy ~ input welcome!

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Ninabeth, Jun 5, 2024.

1. Ninabeth

Ninabeth Active Member

I got a needlepoint piece yesterday that I'm "investigating". Pretty darned certain the actual needlework isn't as old as the style (unfortunately!), so I'm hoping to get an idea of age and maybe country of origin. It's neatly worked in both wool and silk floss in two stitch sizes and there's some very meticulous shading in the small stitch areas. The back of the panels are covered in velvet that's been impressed (not cut or burnout) with beautiful floral vines. There's some damage to the velvet that reveals a layer of silk underneath the velvet. The stitched area of the center panel is approximately 60" x 15" — the entire screen measures approximately 50"W x 70"H. Other than one 19th century French screen I haven't found anything with a similar vibe. TIA for any input!

Video (shows colors a bit more more accurately) :

knight-screen-full.png knight-knight.png knight-head.png knight-screen-tape.png knight-back.png knight-velvet.png knight-back-rip-silk.png

Last edited: Jun 5, 2024
    judy, Boland, NewEngland and 4 others like this.
  2. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Stunning!
    With those prominent fleur-de-lis, Joan of Arc comes to mind but I've done no research into this idea.
    Just guessing, early 20th century made by an accomplished church lady? Old churches used to have their own embroidery groups who made kneeling cushions, etc.
    Where in the world is this located?

I'm looking forward to seeing what others say!

judy, Marote and mirana like this.
  3. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

judy, komokwa, Roaring20s and 2 others like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Doesn't one just love "Throw-it-against-the-wall-and-see-what-sticks descriptions" like this?

French Art Deco 19th Century Louis XVI Style

Debra

Any Jewelry, Marote, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  5. Ninabeth

Ninabeth Active Member

Holy moly... that's it - thank you! I did reverse image search and that never came up. I purchased it at a multivendor antique store (in CA).The individual seller must have got it at the estate sale. I did search Louis IV style and found another with similar feel and trim - I think the estate listing must have referred to it for dating as well. I'm super curious for more details on it... gonna look into that coat of arms (cross fleury, crescent moons, tower, star?).

6. Ninabeth

Ninabeth Active Member

I feel like "Art Deco" is tossed around pretty loosely when people are selling old things.

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Agree.

Debora

8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That green doesn't look original. Could it have been added later?

Debora

9. Ninabeth

Ninabeth Active Member

Quite possibly. My phone cam can really bugger up colors. The most representative color would be close to the warmer green at the arcs - not the minty green in other areas.

10. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I love how they keyword spammed the estatesales ad. "Art Deco 19th Century Louis XVI Style" - My guess would be 1920s/30s pretty-pretty style, maybe lumped in with Hollywood Regency. I can also see it in a very modern house. The cross-stitch looks at least partially commercially done. Probably sold as found, in this case. Usually you'd get the smaller-sized pieces with the small stitching already finished, and the lady of the house would do the bigger ones.

11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That would be my guess re age too.

Debora

12. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Looks like needlepoint and petit-point to me... not cross-stitch.

komokwa likes this.
  13. evelyb30

The bigger stitches are cross-stitched. The little ones aren't. Another point to it being commercially made entirely.

Marote, bluumz and Ninabeth like this.
  14. Ninabeth

Ninabeth Active Member

Wow... zooming in I can see the cross stitching. It's more visible on the glossy floss - almost hidden in the wool, but there. There are also areas small areas that aren't filled in - maybe intended for petit point stitches. I took a peek at the back, too. Thank you evely. :)

knight-cross-a.png knoght-cross-b.png knight-stitch-back.png

Any Jewelry, Marote and komokwa like this.
  15. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Ah, yes, I see that now since the addition of better close-up photos. I blame my old eyes! :)

Marote and komokwa like this.
  16. evelyb30

The image on the back tells me this has been around for a long time. The colors have faded with age.

Ninabeth, Marote and komokwa like this.
  17. Ninabeth

Ninabeth Active Member

I had to stack two pair of cheap readers and use a loupe. :watching:

18. Ninabeth

Ninabeth Active Member

Sorry for the late reply... it's on the Monterey peninsula in California. This unfinished piece was definitely made by a needlepoint group because each critter has the stitcher's initials. It measures 5 x 7½ feet... huge! I know it's not an antique, but too neato not to share. Picked it up for next to nothing at a consignment shop.

needlepoint-tap-SM-full.jpg needle-tap-SM-crop.png needlepoint-tap-SM-tight.jpg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  19. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That's fab. A rug. The pattern appears to come from this 1990s book.

Debora

Screenshot 2024-06-05 at 5.36.50 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-06-05 at 5.38.03 PM.jpeg

20. Ninabeth

Ninabeth Active Member

Yep - each critter and the ribbon & bow border are Elizabeth Bradley kits.

Aquitaine and Debora like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted