Needing some help identifying a Noritake china pattern

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by mrloveless, Oct 15, 2017.

1. mrloveless

mrloveless New Member

These were an impulse buy at an estate auction a few years ago. I assumed they were a whole set (They were wrapped) but sadly that was not the case. I've searched for days trying to figure out the pattern and era they were made. Really hoping someone has some better searching skills at replacements.com :) Thanks a million in advance!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

This Noritake backstamp was registered in 1933. Scroll about 3-quarters down the page in this link.

http://www.gotheborg.com/marks/noritake.shtml

Many Noritake patterns have no name and are only identified by a number on the underside. I don't see a number on the one example you showed. Are there any pieces with numbers?

3. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Mrloveless! Welcome.

My guestimate on the era is 20's 30's.....give or take.

If you google Replacements LTD, under china/Noritake, you will find many images. Perhaps yours will be amongst them......might not have a pattern name though.

Guess it can't be the 20's if the the name wasn't registered until the 30's.

Thank you Bakersgama!

4. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I believe replacements has this listed as Ybry. Where that name came from I have no idea. It was produced sometime between 1917 and 1929. Looks like it was a pretty extensive pattern.
    Don

Bakersgma and judy like this.
  5. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

Go, Don! It says Ybry 76832. I have to wonder if Ybry was misprinted at some point and then perpetuated.

judy likes this.
  6. Bakersgma

That definitely looks like the same design, Don. Did you go through the entire alphabet to find it? :wideyed:

I am curious about the date disconnect, though. Or do you think Gotheborg is wrong?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2017
    judy likes this.
  7. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Hi Bakersgma! Before confirming the name with Replacements site, my source was Aimee Neff Alden's book "Early Noritake Identification and Values." On page 85 she identifies the pattern name as Ybry and identifies the mark as MM-22 in her index. She goes on to say that MM-22 was registered in Japan between 1921-1924. She goes on to note there are 16 variants of this stamp appearing in various colors, and usually with the pattern." To be honest I didn't even look at her MM-22 until your question.

The stamp she shows as MM-22 is different from the example above. In my experience it's not unusual for the same Noritake pattern to have several different marks mostly depending on how long the pattern was in production. I collected BlueDawn and that pattern has three different marks. It has two different pre-WWII production stamps and an occupied Japan mark. If I had to make a guess I'd say Ybry started production between 1921-1924 but may have continued to be produced for several more years and into the 1930's. Ms. Alden's book is divided roughly by decades and she may have placed it in her 1917-1929 section because she believed that was when the majority of Ybry was made. It's possible the example she used in the book carried the MM-22 mark and also, perhaps, the pattern name. So I think both Ms. Alden and Gotheborg are correct.

Dealing with old Noritake patterns can quickly drive anyone batty. :vulcan:
    Don

judy and Bakersgma like this.
  8. Bakersgma

I was also thinking, after posting my question, whether it might have been a long-lived pattern. I, boy, do I agree with your last sentence!

judy and dgbjwc like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted