Need key words for sterling bracelet please!

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by moontymes, Jun 28, 2014.

1. moontymes

moontymes Well-Known Member

I have no idea about jewelry, really. I picked up this bracelet with medallions that are etched....is this called damascene?It's marked 925 and is fairly heavy.
    Looking for keywords, plus age and origin. Also, it has one of those clasps where you slide the bar to lock. What is this type of clasp called?
    thank to all!

Attached Files:

mymysharona43 likes this.
  2. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

By the picture it appears to be faux sterling

Nothing to do with damascene

Relatively recent manufacture

3. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Looks like a Turkish niello bracelet, with foxtail chains; marked '925', probably is fairly new. Can't see the clasp - is it hinged?

~Cheryl

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  4. moontymes

Thanks guys.
    Terry: I have no reason to suspect that it is not real silver. It looks and feels like it to me and has a punched hallmark like all the other 925 pieces that I have owned. What makes you think it is not real?

Cheryl: Thanks so much....Turkish Niello. Is there a word for the drapy chains that connect the medallions? The clasp is not hinged....you connect the two ends together and then push the bar through the holes. I hope that makes sense....guess I need more photos. Do you have reason to suspect it's not real as well?

5. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

925 is not a hallmark. A mark but not a hallmark. Virtually all jewelry items coming from China today are marked 925. Even if they are not supposed to be silver.

6. moontymes

That might be true, but most of my sterling silver jewelry is also marked 925. Just because it's marked 925 doesn't mean it's fake! That's crazy talk ! :)

7. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

I think what terry means is that 925 is not a makers mark/Hallmark, but rather a silver rating for purity.

And just because it is marked 925, does not mean it is silver. Back in the 1980s, when silver was coming from Italy a lot of fake silver started showing up. Now it is coming from China and many times it is marked 925 when it is actually silver plated copper.

You are the best judge as to whether you think it is marked properly.
    Use a magnifying glass to look at wear areas. Many people use silver testing, which I detest, as it usually ruins the piece if they do it wrong.

8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It looks like Turkish niello and chains to me too. I don't think I've ever seen it faked, but there's a first time for everything. No real age.

9. mymysharona43

mymysharona43 Well-Known Member

I can look at silver and gold till I'm blue in the face but when I can identify them by sight I'm gonna make millions LOL
    I do however buy lots and lots of fake silver and some fake gold, including Taxco and vintage silver marked pieces so check just to be sure

10. moontymes

You all had me so worried that I took it to a jeweler. Verdict: Sterling silver, just as I had thought. I sold it to him for scrap, because I had gotten it so cheaply anyway, and had gotten quite a complex about this item! LOL.

Draft saved Draft deleted