Need info on this weird box

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by yoshi1999, Apr 28, 2018.

1. yoshi1999

yoshi1999 New Member

My parents came across this teak box in Germany. We suspect it's Art deco style but we don't know for sure.

Width: 17 cm
    Length: 26 cm
    Height: 18 cm

It has no further markings and has a weird handle on the top.
    Does anyone know what exactly the box is for and from what time it came? And the value?

Huntingtreasure and aaroncab like this.
  2. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

You have put your photo`s in the gallery and made it private, no one can see them but you.
    Its best if you click "Upload a File" on your next post and include them here.

judy likes this.
  3. yoshi1999

yoshi1999 New Member

I've made it public now

judy likes this.
  4. Marie Forjan

Marie Forjan Well-Known Member

JMHO, not Art Deco in style. Looks like an artisan piece form the last 20 years or so, maybe even more recent.

Huntingtreasure likes this.
  5. aaroncab

aaroncab in veritate victoria

Beautiful - and I think a one of a kind piece. I wouldn't know where to start as to identifying where it's originally from. I wouldn't call it art deco - but I could be wrong. All I really know is i like it! You might want to also post a picture of the base - That could be helpful to those who know.

Huntingtreasure likes this.
  6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'd say more mid-century than Deco - dig the boomerangs on the side. The 50s artisan types would have done that handle if they thought of it. It might be later; that red lining looks like something out of the 70s. The inlay, if done by some guy in a shed, is awfully good. It may be Italian; it's their sort of wood work.

judy, aaroncab and Huntingtreasure like this.
  7. Huntingtreasure

Huntingtreasure Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Forum, Yoshi!
    Love the box! I was thinking from the top and sides it looked like a dorsal fin, cutting the water. But I do have a vivid imagination!

judy and aaroncab like this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

it's a nice box....but the guy seeming to argue with the gal......is a distraction..from the nice wood....

zzzzzzzzbox.jpg

judy and Huntingtreasure like this.
  9. 808 raver

808 raver Well-Known Member

I agree with everybody else, not Deco, made within the last 20 years, nice box.

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted