Featured Need ID: Maker's mark on tiny perfume trinket box

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by OldThing, Jul 21, 2024.

1. OldThing

OldThing Member

Hello everyone :)

Been a while, so hope things are good with ya'll.

Posting as I'm after an ID on a small porcelain perfume/trinket box, sourced from a recent estate sale.

The mark that's on it is reminiscent of Meissen, but I'm pretty sure it's not genuine. Has anyone seen this mark before and could provide some further info please?
    Rough dimensions of the box are 60mm long x 25mm wide x 55mm high.

Thanks muchly!

Note: the glue has let go on both sides of the metal hinge frame, so for the purposes of taking pix, some yellow tac was used to keep it together (the trinket box, not the photographer, although that could be debated...).

perfume box b.jpg perfume box g.jpg perfume box j.jpg

Any Jewelry, Bronwen and johnnycb09 like this.
  2. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Can we see the bottles, please?
    I'm wondering if they're original to the box...which looks "antiqued"...

EDIT: Just found this, so it seems the bottles are original to the box.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/355052664076

3. OldThing

OldThing Member

Sure...

The bottles are glass (one has a corner hole), the caps are brass screw-ons and the internal "stick" that picks up the perfume is hard plastic.

perfume box s.jpg

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

'Spect it's meant to evoke the Meissen mark. See a number of similar boxes floating around the internet. They all look new although often misidentified as antique. The plastic stopper alone demonstrates that's not the case.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/355052664076

Debora

bercrystal, aaroncab, mirana and 2 others like this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Smart money says it was at least partially done in China. The hardware sure was; I recognize it.

bercrystal, aaroncab, mirana and 3 others like this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

It’s a giftware company and I’ve forgotten who, eighties or nineties.

bercrystal, johnnycb09 and OldThing like this.
  7. OldThing

OldThing Member

Thanks everyone...don't believe I'll be adding to my retirement fund with this one. ;-)

bercrystal and johnnycb09 like this.
  8. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Someone will still pay 20-40 for it I bet. Limoges style boxes sell well even when they aren’t made in Limoges.

Draft saved Draft deleted