Need ID for Old Coin Silver Spoon

Discussion in 'Silver' started by jollyrancher, Aug 5, 2015.

1. jollyrancher

jollyrancher Active Member

2. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

I can't see enough of the markings to make out the name of this fiddle tipped with shoulders (fins) spoon. My first impression is that it is not coin silver. The pic makes it look too thick to be coin. If that is a number to the right of the word "Bros", it may be silverplated. Can you read the name? Is the 1st letter K, H, R or what?

--- Susan

KingofThings likes this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Looks like it starts with KATT to me. Unfortunately I could not find anything for a name starting with either K or H that also had "Bros." associated.

I would also like to see a better view of what follows the name. As Ladybranch has pointed out, many early silverplated flatware pieces had a number following the maker which represented the number of ounces of silver used in the plating - the higher the number the thicker the plate.

KingofThings likes this.
  4. Ladybranch

Baker, glad I'm not the only one who couldn't read it. The only letters I can make out are K or H, followed with possibly an A??, then LL or TT., and the rest can't see.There may be something before Bros. like "&." The only thing I could come up with was Keller Bros. They were a retailer, jewelry store, in Allentown, PA.

Top of page:
    http://www.sterlingflatwarefashions.com/Ret/RetK1.html

Found the following article on them. It's a bio on a Samuel Keller who eventually partnered with his brother in an Allentown, PA, jewelry store after the Civil War. He originally was a tanner and a farmer. Page 787, right column, 1st full paragraph.
    https://books.google.com/books?id=s...NgxH#v=onepage&q=Keller bros. jewelry&f=false

--- Susan

KingofThings likes this.
  5. jollyrancher

Thank you all. It does indeed looks like "Katt" something and then Bros. So it's not coin or sterling?

KingofThings likes this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

If it were ....99 times out of 100 , it would say so !

KingofThings likes this.
  7. jollyrancher

Most American Coin Silver does NOT say silver or coin on it, from what I have seen.

KingofThings likes this.
  8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

That is true, jollyrancher. But it also doesn't have what looks like a plating number after the maker's name. It would be very helpful if you could take another picture of just that part of the mark so we can assess what it says and go from there.

KingofThings and komokwa like this.
  9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I was remarking on the sterling aspect......sorry for not being more clear !

KingofThings likes this.
  10. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

The retailer would be Kattelle Bros. in Boston, can't really make out the other mark, but also suspect it's silverplate rather than coin, especially given the late 1800s dating for Kattelle Bros.

~Cheryl

KingofThings and Bakersgma like this.
  11. Ladybranch

KingofThings and Bakersgma like this.
  12. jollyrancher

Thank you DragonFlyWink, and everyone else who contributed to this thread. That's it for sure!

komokwa likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted