Need Help with Woven Rug, SW Style

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by birgittaw, May 27, 2014.

1. birgittaw

birgittaw Active Member

Curious about this rug. Looks NA, seller at flea insisted it was Navajo and 60s. Maybe but not sure about the one tied edge or that turquoise color. The wools feel correct and has the appropriate striations for being hand dyed. I can see the vertical warp (or is that weft?) though the rows.

Measures 18" wide by 42" . Saddle blanket? Tourist item? Mexico or elsewhere? Didn't pay much, so no illusions. Which is sometimes a good thing.

Attached Files:

• 023.JPG
      023.JPG
      File size:
      97.7 KB
      Views:
    • 026.JPG
      026.JPG
      File size:
      68.1 KB
      Views:
    • 024.JPG
      024.JPG
      File size:
      108.2 KB
      Views:
  2. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

Yes, it's Navajo, and the date is probably close, as well. This is called a Gallup Throw, a type of Navajo rug that has fringe on one end. They were quickly made, and not as finely woven as most Navajo rugs (which is why you can see the warp threads in places, showing through the weft, not something you will see on more expensive rugs.)

They've been popular, relatively inexpensive, souvenir rugs for a long time. But generally at the low end of the scale of Navajo weaving when it comes to value.

All Navajo rugs are made for sale, to either collectors, dealers, or tourists, so there's nothing wrong with it being a "tourist item." It's a good example of a Gallup Throw.

(Saddle blankets are also woven with thicker wool like this, but will be at least 30" x 30", give or take a few inches. A double saddle blanket would be this shape, but around 30" x 60".)

anundverkaufen likes this.
  3. birgittaw

birgittaw Active Member

Thanks so much Taupou! I am so happy to see you here, and posting as well.

This one threw me off, mostly because of the top edge. As always, your thorough explanation is invaluable.

Draft saved Draft deleted