Need help with vintage embroidered mirror pieces silk dress/costume.

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Joan, Jun 12, 2020.

1. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

I'm trying to figure out the correct terminology to use in describing this silk dress/costume (it doesn't have a label). Similar garments I've seen online use terms such as Afghani, Pakistani, India, Punjabi, Kurta, Kuchi, Banjara, Balochi, Bedouin -- can anyone help with the appropriate terms for this dress?
    EthnicMirrorDress-1.jpg EthnicMirrorDress-2.jpg

pearlsnblume likes this.
  2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

You can try "mirror work", or "shisha embroidery". I have seen it most on textiles from the Indian state of Gujarat, but there are versions in much of Central Asia and elsewhere.

pearlsnblume, Sandra and Joan like this.
  3. Joan

Joan Well-Known Member

Thank you 2manybooks. I searched some of the terms you mentioned and found a blouse with the same embroidered designs that was referred to as an embroidered mirror choli blouse with decorative crewel chain stitch kutch work embroidery done in the tribal folk patterns from Gujarati, Rajasthan India and Sindh Pakistan. So thank you for your super-speedy response -- I feel comfortable now describing this garment with appropriate terms.

pearlsnblume, 2manybooks and Sandra like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted