Need Help with this Libbey Glass Flip Bowl

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ola402, May 4, 2016.

1. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I bought this bowl last week and discovered that it has a Libbey glass mark that dates from 1910. Hard to see but here is a photo.

DSCF5449.jpg

I found the mark on an ABCG web site and they said it is mark 9.3 circa 1910 and is the word Libbey within a circle.

This is what I have always called a Flip Bowl or Floral Bowl and I have searched and searched and can't find a thing. Also, this bowl has a cutting but it is not American Brilliant so . . . I am so lost. It measures 15" in diameter and weighs a lot.

Finding the name or number of the cutting is probably not likely, but I would like to know if the time period is correct. It looks like Libbey Rock Sharpe stemware cuttings and I thought that glass was a lot later than 1910. Any ideas or suggestions where to look. TY!

DSCF5455.jpg
    DSCF5457.jpg

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  2. Mill Cove Treasures

Mill Cove Treasures Well-Known Member

3. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

I have seen these marked as Jello molds LOL. For me the shape is not one used during the ABP period. I think it is later. Remember Replacements combined Libbey with Rock Sharp after Libbey bought Rock Sharp. This may well have been before that acquisition or just the blank was from Libbey.

4. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

millcove - thanks for that info, there are certainly more bowls shown with the word console.

george - yes, this cutting looks like Rocke Sharpe. That's why I was curious about the mark. Perhaps it's one of those marks that was used for many years. It's very light and hard to see so if there any other curliques or lines that indicate a later mark, I can't see it. There is also a good deal of wear on the bottom of the bowl.

Like I said, the bowl weighs a ton so I may have to place it in my B&M space and not on line. The shipping would be killer.

Thanks!

5. Brenda Anna

Brenda Anna Well-Known Member

6. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Thanks, Brenda! There were some bowls like mine in the 1919 catalog, but most of the other catalogs are for stemware and drinkware. It's good to know that they cataloged some of these bowls.

Brenda Anna likes this.
  7. Brenda Anna

Brenda Anna Well-Known Member

It's possible that someone on the Libbey History site would be able to help you identify your console bowl. It can't hurt to try contacting them, anyway. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted