Featured Need help with Silver Coffee Urn/Samovar please

Discussion in 'Silver' started by Jaime Riggs, Sep 10, 2023.

1. Jaime Riggs

Jaime Riggs Well-Known Member

Acquired this piece from an estate sale, this was the only piece of silver there. There are no markings that I can find on this, not on the bottom, in the interior, the lid, etc. Is there somewhere specific I should be looking that I am missing? Google image search, replacements.com came up with nothing. How do I tell if this is plated or sterling? Age? Help please!

IMG_1722.JPG IMG_1724.JPG IMG_1723.JPG IMG_1726.JPG IMG_1729.JPG IMG_1727.JPG

2. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 10, 2023
    kyratango, Jaime Riggs and johnnycb09 like this.
  3. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Without marks there are a few things you could try. Start with Magnet, If it sticks to any part of the pot, it is likely silver plated, since sterling does not attract a magnet. But the magnet will only stick if the base metal under the plating contains some amount of iron or another ferrous metal.

Even testing with acid is not ideal for two reasons. First you need to scratch into the surface in an inconspicuous place to get far enough into the plating to expose the base metal before applying the acid. That can be very disfiguring. Second, not scratching will mean that you are only testing the surface, which if it is plated will be all sterling anyway and give you an erroneous result. You should probably take it to a professional to be tested.

4. Bakersgma

BTW this pot may have been intended to hold and dispense hot water for tea.

5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

They keys to the mystery may be underneath the pot, and inside the lid. Also, what's the white bit on the handle made of? A high quality silver piece with some age on it often has ivory on it. A lesser piece might be bone or something else.

pearlsnblume and kyratango like this.
  6. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Beautiful-Tea for Mr. Darcy ? I would've bought it (dep on price) sterling or plate,although w/ plate you'd best want to keep it.

pearlsnblume and kyratango like this.
  7. Jaime Riggs

I think I will have to take to a professional. I have acid but not anything to drill deep in a small way.

8. Jaime Riggs

It was totally black with that coloring like motor oil in a mud puddlle, looked horrible but it polished up so beautifully. Yes, hot water for tea, please!

9. Bakersgma

Where are you Jaime?

10. Jaime Riggs

Nothing on the bottom, nothing inside the lid, nothing inside the pot. I will take a look at the white piece with magnification and see if it looks like bone or ivory. Why didn't I think of that? Thanks!

11. evelyb30

There may be no deliberate marks, but many times the construction will tell us something.

Jaime Riggs and kyratango like this.
  12. bosko69

A piece that elaborate should sneakily minutely marked somewhere (?).

13. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I'd say plated.....I don't think silver would like the heat that thing would produce...
    imo

Any Jewelry likes this.
  14. Jaime Riggs

I'm in the US, Tennessee

15. Jaime Riggs

I finally dug out my strong magnet. This is not magnetic, at all.

Bakersgma likes this.
  16. Jaime Riggs

Okay, this puppy is STERLING! The white piece on the spigot is ivory. Thank you to everyone that helped with this!

silverbell likes this.
  17. bosko69

It's stunning-now the real fun begins,who might have made it ?
    PS-I'm a sterling amateur,but it should be worth a bundle.

18. evelyb30

A couple hundred in scrap alone. If that thing is Portuguese or French, finding the marks is going to be FUN. NOT!

Draft saved Draft deleted