Need help with gong

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by Kevolee, Jul 17, 2024.

1. Kevolee

Kevolee Well-Known Member

Hi, I’m finding out that gongs/cymbals aren’t easy to research so I’m hoping some can help me out with this one. It measures 13” in diameter. It also has a note taped on it with a name and the city of Newton Ctr.,which I believe is in Massachusetts. I’m not sure if that helps any. I’m wondering what the metal may be and if it can be considered to be hammered? Thanks in advance for any help.

g1.jpg g2.jpg g3.jpg g4.jpg g5.jpg g6.jpg g7.jpg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  3. Kevolee

Yes there are and some of them seem to be offered by perhaps suspicious sources. Zildjian is a reputable company that offers a very similar looking 12" gong for around 90 dollars but even they give little information other than it is, "chau style," one piece cast and made in China. The stand is sold separately. It seems the larger the diameter the higher the cost, but prices for all sizes are all over the place. I am guessing it is made of brass. It does produce a very nice and long lasting tone.

4. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

58 Westminster Rd, Newton CTR, indeed in MA.
    And one of the names seems to be Wilcox (between brackets, right? so possibly a maiden name?)
    So now we only need @Debora to find us the rest of the info on the previous owner :D

5. Kevolee

Right, Billingsley over the Willcox. I'm not good at tracking down people I'm familiar with so didn't even consider trying.

Marote likes this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Yes, it is a Chinese 'chau', missing a beater. Chau have been used in ceremonies for thousands of years, and are still used, also in modern music.

Zildjian gongs all bear the name Zildjian, btw, so this is not one of theirs.

all_fakes, Marote and Bakersgma like this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I wonder if it's not a student's instrument. Owner Billingsley with home address. Name in brackets the music teacher. There is a music teacher in Newton public schools named Wilcox but I think we're looking at a vintage label. Fountain pen not ball point, right? Address dates to 1927 so can't be earlier.

Debora

Marote likes this.
  8. Kevolee

I think you are right about the fountain pen. I haven't seen one of those for years. It looks to be written on the kind of white surgical tape you used to see more frequently. The kind mom would put over gauze or a cotton ball to cover a scrape.

Marote likes this.
  9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yes, I think you're right. Not adhesive tape for packaging but surgical tape from the medicine chest. Just what a mother would improvise for a label. So somewhere from 1927 to 1960ish.

Debora

10. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The homeowners were Joe Kenton & Georgiana Billingsley in 1949. One son Allen K. who was 17. A likely suspect. In what part of the world did you find the gong?

Debora

Marote likes this.
  11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

12. Kevolee

Okay, I found it in Iowa City, Iowa which is around 45-50 miles from the Illinois border. So a bit over 200 miles from the Chicago burbs. Great work!

Marote likes this.
  13. NanaB

NanaB Well-Known Member

Debora you are AMAZING

Potteryplease and Marote like this.
  14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

No, just nosy. Not a good thing. (Except here apparently!)

Debora

15. NanaB

NanaB Well-Known Member

Never nosy, inquisitive.

Marote, Any Jewelry and Aquitaine like this.
  16. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Oh. Like that much, much better. Inquisitive it is.

Debora

Marote, NanaB and Potteryplease like this.