Need help with dating Japanese plate and text.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by benbenny007, Jul 9, 2017.

1. benbenny007

benbenny007 I buy rubbish, and sell antiques

Wanted to date this piece but not much knowledge about Asian. Think it's japanese because of the clothing and hairstyles. Anybody an idea what period it could be and maybe what the text reads. Doesn't look really professionaly done so suspect that it's and export piece because of the holes on the back

Any info/input is welcome.

20170709_185517_resized.jpg 20170709_185550_resized.jpg 20170709_190736_resized.jpg 20170709_185641_resized.jpg

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The clothing looks Chinese, but that doesn't mean it can't have been made in Japan.
    It is recent, the usual Qianlong mark, but not Qianlong period.
    It may have been mounted on a wooden stand.

benbenny007 likes this.
  3. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

benbenny007 likes this.
  4. janetpjohn

janetpjohn Well-Known Member

You beat me!

benbenny007 and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Great minds, etc.;)

benbenny007 likes this.
  6. benbenny007

benbenny007 I buy rubbish, and sell antiques

Thx so much.. No wonder I couldn't find it :shame:
    Thought it was Japanese.

I need to stay away from Asian arts. So difficult.

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Very difficult. It is often more like science.
    Since you're Dutch, there is a very good antiquarian book 'Chinese keramiek' by Nanne Ottema. In the early 1900s Ottema was conservator at de Princessehof in Leeuwarden, where most of the VOC related ceramics are.
    There was a time when the Dutch knew more about Chinese porcelain than anyone in the western world, and Ottema's expertise stems from that time.

Draft saved Draft deleted