Need help with Chinese or Japanese seal stamp.

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by benbenny007, Jun 20, 2017.

1. benbenny007

benbenny007 I buy rubbish, and sell antiques

Hi folks. Need help with this seal stamp. Can somebody read this. Doesn't look that old to me but have very little knowledge about asian items and pottery.
    Dont know which way around is correct so two pics of that. Any info input is welcome

20170620_164617_resized.jpg 20170620_164626_resized.jpg 20170620_164726_resized.jpg 20170620_164737_resized.jpg

2. benbenny007

Still no luck finding out what the seal reads. Any ideas?

3. Ladybranch

Ladybranch Well-Known Member

It's Japanese. The last pic is the correct position. It is read from the right side down. I'm not sure what it all translates, but do know the the 2 right side characters.

大 = Dai = great, big....
    吉 = kichi
    ' = luck, fortune, luckiness, blessedness, bliss, felicity

Together "daikichi" they mean something like "excellent luck."
    https://www.google.com/search?q=Excellent+luck+in+Japanese&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

There are a couple of oriental language guru on the forum that may drop by to help. I don't think they drop by every day. It may be a few more days before they show up if they see this query. If no one shows up, in a day or so refresh this query by replying to it. That will bounce it back to the top of this forum as your above message did.

--- Susan

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
    benbenny007 likes this.
  4. benbenny007

Thx so much Susan. So it's Japanese! This helps to solve part of the puzzle. Hope somebody poppes by who can read Japanese. Thx

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted