Need help with a siggie on a Bali print please.

Discussion in 'Art' started by bercrystal, Jun 4, 2014.

1. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I won a set of 4 of these prints all different woman recently & was hoping someone could make out the siggies in the corner. From what I could find on-line this type of print is referred to as Bali print & I believe that may be part of the siggie. I have only shown 1 print, but I included all 4 siggies below because they are all just a little different & something may be easier to decipher in one over another.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks for any & all advice or opinions!!! :kiss:

2. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

The only help I can offer is that the last two words are "Batuan, Bali." Batuan is a village in Bali, famous for its painting, and is the name of one of the traditional Balinese painting styles. I wouldn't call this particularly Batuan style, however, since Batuan traditional painting is usually much more complicated and ornate.

3. bercrystal

Thank you Taupou!! :)

4. khl889

khl889 Well-Known Member

Paintings are produced on almost an industrial scale at Batuan (aka Baturan). Of course there are some famous Balinese painters who produce works of great originality, but most of the stuff that gets sold to tourists is pretty repetitive. Looks great till you see a thousand more or less the same.

By the way, I see you call this a print. Balinese artworks are usually not prints but originals, in the loose sense of the word. So take a close look at this again. I can't tell from the photo.

5. bercrystal

Thanks khl889!!! :happy:
    I had a feeling these were tourist type prints, but the price was just too good to pass up. The colors are very nice & they are well framed.
    I'll try them here & if they don't sell I'll take them to a local consignment shop because I know they will sell there.

6. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

I googled and it looks like Terang is also a place in Bali. (oye did I just say I googled ;)). Years ago I worked briefly for a couple who imported from Bali, their house was filled with Balinese art/stuff. The stories they'd tell of their yearly visits were wonderful!

7. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Hi Peggy,

Can't help too much with these, but was curious -- are they prints or possibly paintings as Khl suggested they might be? Just wondering! Can't speak to value, but I do guess if they don't sell on Ebay, the consignment store will be more than happy to consign. I haven't seen anything exactly like these before and I'm at thrifts, estate sales a lot. They also have a little bit of a vintage feel to my eye. I think someone will love them.

8. bercrystal

Lucille - I do think they are prints, but they are behind non-glare glass so who knows.

I have decided to take these to the consignment shop because i can't decide how to sell them here on ebay. They are all framed the same so the same person may want all of them but shipping costs may be prohibitive. I only paid $22.00 for all 4 so I think I will be able to make money on them. ;):)

9. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Well, you certainly should make some money on these. They would sell quickly where I live.

10. khl889

khl889 Well-Known Member

Lucille.b and kentworld like this.
  11. bercrystal

khl889 - WOW!!! Thank you very much!!!! :kiss::kiss::kiss::kiss:

I guess I have changed my mind about consigning them to the shop. ;) LOL

I will list them as auctions separately & see what happens.

One more question, I assuming these pieces are just prints or would they be originals? I have tried looking at them with a magnifying glass, but the non-glare glass they are under makes it impossible for me to see.

12. khl889

khl889 Well-Known Member

As I said, Balinese artists are known for painting, not printmaking. You really have to have someone who can tell the difference examine these in person. Curious they seem signed with a ballpoint pen, though.

Do some additional research, too. Is this artist the same as other Ida Bagus Mades, or part of a family of painters (common in Bali)? I don't know -- you'll have to do some digging and look for signatures and styles to match.

Good luck.

13. bercrystal

Thanks again khl889!!!

I will put them back till I have some research time which is going to be in short supply over the next few weeks because our granddaughter will arrive next weekend for her summer visit & will be here until after the 4th of July.

14. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Anyone channeling maja??

15. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 1, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted