Need Help with a Glass Epergne Horn

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ola402, Dec 15, 2014.

1. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I have an epergne horn that has a familiar pattern but I can't figure it out. It measures 8" high and 5 1/2" wide at the top. I thought it might be an EAPG pattern but I can't find a thing. Does anyone know the pattern and maker? Also, could it maybe be a vase that used to have a sterling weighted base that someone removed? Thanks!

large.jpg large-1.jpg large-2.jpg

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  2. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Isn't that pretty.
    I wonder if this actually goes to an epergne or if possibly it fit in a wall bracket for an automobile.
    Time period would be right, 1920s.

3. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I though about that but it's too heavy and not shaped quite right to work as a car vase (IMHO). It is really pretty. If not, I would have stuck it in the basement with the rest of the lost children, as not being worth the effort. The pattern just reminds me of something I've seen . . .

4. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Pam,
    I have seen several Austria lamps from the turn of the Century that had flower vases like yours on top of the lamp. I usually called them bordello lamps since they were hand painted and illuminated in the bottom section as well as the top sections usually with red lights. I could never really understand the fresh flowers on top but ............
    greg

Last edited: Dec 16, 2014
  5. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

OMG! I think that I found the pattern over on David Doty's carnival web site. It's call Asters by Brockwitz. Check this out: http://www.ddoty.com/asters.html It's easiest to see in the photos of the vases. I sometimes to go Doty's site when all else fails since carnival items were often made in clear, but I never thought that this one would be there. Maybe with Greg's Austria lamps connection, this would go on top of a lamp, LOL! Ok, now that I know this, who wants to buy it?

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  6. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Now that I know the pattern, I'm finding images of 3 piece epergne bowls by Brockwitz in different patterns, the size consistent with this horn. Maybe I'll try to sell it on the off chance that someone might need a place holder until they find a carnival version.

spirit-of-shiloh and gregsglass like this.
  7. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

You might check the thistlewood site. They are experts/authors for European carnival etc. http://www.thistlewoods.net/ Glenn is very helpful and their books are worth picking up.

8. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

Brockwitz actually called the pattern 'Marguerite' in their 1926 catalog.

9. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Thanks, Don! Glad to see you're lurking today.

10. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

Hi there Pam : ) you're very welcome!

11. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Doubtless called "Marguerite" because that's a veddy fawncy daisy pattern.

Love it...just by itself.

12. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

Beautiful glass..would be nice to find a sterling base to an ugly piece and swap the base. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted