Need Help with a Fenton Thumbprint Piece

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ola402, Jun 8, 2016.

1. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Trying to find the ware # for this Fenton Thumbprint covered bowl. Not a great piece, but now I'm engaged with it and can't stop. I'm trying to find the Fenton ware # for this covered compote. It is NOT the Anniversary Bowl or the Royal Wedding Bowl, those were at the sale but purchased by me and another person.

So, I go to look in the Whitmyers book and it isn't there, neither a photo nor a description. Look in John Walk's books, not there. Go to find the on line catalogs and now I can't open them. They download to my computer but won't open (when did that change?) None shown on ebay in any color and none shown in any of the closed sale price services that I subscribe to.

Here's the piece. It measures 7 1/2" to the top of the finial and 6 1/4" in diameter. The lid fits snugly like on the Anniversary and Royal Wedding Bowls where the curved arches have to be lined up to fit. The estate where I got it offered almost every piece in this line (in green, why not blue or pink?, but then it would have cost more). Is this a one off? I even looked in Walk's book under OVG (made in milk glass) and couldn't find it there. Anyone know anything? TY!

DSCF5861.jpg DSCF5864.jpg

lauragarnet likes this.
  2. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Colonial Green Thumbprint Anniversary Bowl 4484 CG 1963 to 1971.
    I found it on pgs. 350/351 in Whitmyer's Fenton Art Glass Patterns 1939 - 1980 2nd Edition.

lloyd249, *crs* and lauragarnet like this.
  3. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Peggy, it's not the Anniversary Bowl. The Anniversary bowl is almost 10" high and the foot/stem is very different from this one. I saw the Anniversary at the auction and it was purchased by another person. Also, I have the Royal Wedding bowl sitting on my counter so I know it's not that one either.

Margaret Whitmyer sells in my mall. I should try to track her down. We've never met so I don't know what she looks like.

lauragarnet likes this.
  4. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I went back to Heacock's book on Fenton Glass: The Third Twenty-Five Years but I'm not sure it was much help. Your piece is not pictured there either. Heacock does mention that the Anniversary Bowl and the Wedding Bowl are reproductions of the Argus pattern. Is it possible someone else copying the Argus pattern produced it? Does the color match your other pieces? Or it could have been a gift shop item only. I'll keep digging.
    Don

5. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Don, I thought about the gift shop angle. Fenton's store was a couple hours drive away and a lot of people in this area went there. Most of the pieces in this estate still had their Fenton stickers as well. The color exactly matches the other pieces I have. The thing I can't comprehend is that when I looked for it on line, I couldn't find it in any other colors that Thumbprint was made in. I guess it's RARE, LOL!

Thanks for checking to both of you, Don and Peggy!

dgbjwc likes this.
  6. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Well never mind then.
    That is what I get for not reading the whole post.
    :bag::bag::bag::shame::shame::shame::p:p:p

Peggy

*crs* likes this.
  7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

8. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Wow~more! Who knew? I learned something today. That's amazing. With that Argus clue from Don, you were able to find an example and solve the problem! Thanks so much! It would be even cooler if it is really worth $50, LOL!

komokwa likes this.
  9. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

It does explain why no one's finding it in their Fenton books.

*crs* and komokwa like this.
  10. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

And finally, I found 3 completed in Worthpoint (the free one thru my library) that are clear with gold around all the thumbprints (very pretty). They were all ID'd as Imperial Glass. I'm still a little dazed that it looks so fenton-ish yet isn't. Thanks again to everyone!

11. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

it's not surprising that these Imperial Glass and Fenton pieces appear so similar as they are reproductions of the Argus pattern by Bakewell, Pears. Imperial Glass called the pattern 'Provincial'.
    http://www.ndga.net/rainbow/1979/79rrg09a.php

12. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Don, I'm familiar with Whirlpool/Provincial and it's a different pattern from #973. Here's one I found in clear with gold on Etsy. This one was ID'd as #973 and also the R site shows it in green (just like mine).

il_570xN.474532737_bj2p.jpg

13. fenton

fenton Well-Known Member

Definitely Imperial Glass.

14. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

Now that fenton and Tallcakes have chimed in I guess this info is a little redundant but...After moreotherstuff found the Imperial link I did a little more digging as I had never seen a piece like this attributed to Imperial. I had forgotten about one of my favorite books, Identifying Pattern Glass Reproductions by Jenks, Luna, and Reilly. They show your compote as in Imperial product and the color as Verde. I've included the page below. I hope it's readable. I like the gold version. I wonder if they did a similar treatment in ruby?
    Don
    Scan0001.jpg

15. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

Don, that's great information and I can read it (with my magnifier). It says that the Imperial piece would have an embossed IG mark. Well, I am not THAT BLIND, mine is not marked with the IG but that's not unusual.

I love these lively discussions! Now that I know what this is, I'm finding it all over the place and wonder why I couldn't find it earlier. "Blinded" by thinking it was a Fenton product, I guess. I want that book, will look for it over on ebay.

16. ola402

ola402 Well-Known Member

I found the book, but it's not cheap. Will keep looking. You wondered about the same treatment as the gold, only in ruby . . . I was thinking a ruby glass version with the gold treatment. WOW, wouldn't that be wonderful!

PS Found the book on the River for under $5 Yay!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2016
    dgbjwc likes this.
  17. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

I wondered about the IG mark but was sure you would have mentioned it if it was there. I don't know why they don't reissue the Pattern Glass Reproduction book. It would be even nicer if they updated it. The copyright on my copy is 1993 and a lot has changed since then.
    Don

Draft saved Draft deleted