Featured Need Help w/Identifying Wool Needlepoint Design/Art

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by Jim Goodykoontz, Mar 30, 2024.

1. Jim Goodykoontz

Jim Goodykoontz Active Member

hi everyone. this is another one of my recent thriftstore finds. i think it's stunning. it's a pillow with all of its stuffing removed. to me it looks like something from the Arts & Crafts era of the late 19th to early 20th century. i see it as the equivalent of a crazy quilt design but done in needlepoint. the yarns are all wool and needless to say, there's a lot of work in this piece. the pillow measures 17" x 17". i want to sell this, and i'm wondering if i'm correctly identifying it? and also, are there any specific names for this sort of pattern or style--any key words that would help it to be found by an appreciative buyer?
    pillow_ful.jpg pillow_backing.jpg pillow_center.jpg pillow_backside.jpg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

that's a lot of honest work....;)

3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That's needlepoint all right. Someone did a PILE of time on that, but I don't think it's early enough to be arts and crafts. Those are all chemical dyes.

mirana, Figtree3 and johnnycb09 like this.
  4. Jim Goodykoontz

thanks for your input, how can you tell?

johnnycb09 likes this.
  5. acvintage

acvintage Member

That's very nice. I would include the word "patchwork" in description and title. I use to do needlepoint. The needlepoint looks evenly done and of good quality.

6. evelyb30

The colors. Natural dyes are more muted, or possibly just fade more. On your pillow there's no color difference between the front and the back.

mirana and Figtree3 like this.
  7. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

8. Jim Goodykoontz

Yes, but to your first point, above, aniline dyes and aniline yarns were certainly available in the late 19th century. Navajo weavers were famously using them during this period.

9. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Makes me think of 1950s/60s though I can't quite pinpoint why... it just looks like something my mother would have had on our couch when I was very young.
    And I agree that the colors all appear to be synthetic dyes.

Bev aka thelmasstuff likes this.
  10. evelyb30

But they don't look like analine dye either. They look like, as others said, craft kit yarn from the 60s or 70s. So does the pattern, but patterns can repeat eras.

11. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Correction: 1960s/70s. I wasn't yet in existence in the 50s!

12. evelyb30

Me either; my parents didn't meet until 1964!

bluumz likes this.
  13. Jim Goodykoontz

thank you all for your input. i guess it might be just me, but when i look at this piece i get excited. i don't see 60s or 70s art. i see 100 different, really interesting little abstractions done in needlepoint. any one of these, by themselves, wouldn't really do the same thing for me either, but it's the totality--the entirety of the piece. i see a type of folk art "eyedazzler." i realize it could be from the 70s, the 70s was a retro arts & crafts period, but the amount of work involved, as well as the spots of moth damage, repairs and wear, all point to something older--for me. i contacted the George Washington University Textiles Museum, to see when these yarns might have first existed. i'll report back if i get a response...thanks

Figtree3 likes this.
  14. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

I would say that regardless of age, the excitement should remain. It was handmade well by someone and it is visually appealing to you!

I have to agree this looks very 70s to me. It's too bright and too "new" looking in general. It may have moth damage, but that happens to objects every year, and certainly to a vintage item. People still make and sell patterns for these square samplers now, so it's an art that has endured. And for good reason...textile arts are fun to make and very enjoyable to use.

I hope you love this piece no matter what, and get good answers from your enquiry.

Figtree3 likes this.
  15. Tiffanyann57

Tiffanyann57 New Member

I have a rather large framed needlework piece I'm having trouble identifying... Also hi I'm new here! I'm also having trouble getting a pic to upload lol

16. Tiffanyann57

Tiffanyann57 New Member

Got it! This is just the corner.. 4 horses running together...

Attached Files:

17. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Welcome Tiffany!
    Please start your own thread in the Textiles section of the forum.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted