Need help to identify celadon dish

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lusiana, Aug 2, 2016.

1. Lusiana

Lusiana New Member

Hi there, I am new in antique collecting. But it is interesting that there are a lot of pottery are available in Jakarta pawn shop for under 8 $ each. Is there any one can give info is it worthy to collect this celadon dishes? It is from different place but in a same area in town.

The first is celadon with 50 cm diameter, has 3 fish, the color is greyish green. the rim is filled with greyish green glaze with sand.

The second is green celadon with twin fish, diameter is about 40 cm, the food rim and the circle covered partially with white glaze. Some green glaze on the back side has been missing.

The First Dish pictures :

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The second dish (might be a shallow bowl) pictures :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope for your comment, thank you.

2. khl889

khl889 Well-Known Member

I can't tell from looking at those photos whether it's a true celadon glaze, or just a green glaze of some sort.

A true celadon glaze is iron-based and fired in a reduction atmosphere. Normally there are millions of tiny bubbles in a true celadon glaze, though sometimes the glaze is almost transparent. Look closely with a magnifier: are there bubbles in that glaze?

Lusiana likes this.
  3. Lusiana

Lusiana New Member

Thank you, it is really a very good info. What about the rim? Should it glazed or just show the clay surface?

4. khl889

khl889 Well-Known Member

You mean the foot rim? Obviously it can't be glazed unless there are spurs or unless the piece is fired upside down.

I assume you're referring to the dressing covering the base. That dark brown stuff is often used to keep you from seeing the actual surface; that is, it's often used to help antique a piece.

Lusiana likes this.
  5. Lusiana

Lusiana New Member

Thank you, I really appreciate for your answers...

6. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Thank you klh889, that was my thought also. They are priced as fakes too..

7. Lusiana

Lusiana New Member

Thank you, at least I paid not too much for one dish with Glaze Deterioration, looks really like half in the sand and half in the water. And from loop I see it is really looks natural, not like sandpaper damaged...A good one to collect...

Draft saved Draft deleted