Need help, please. Is this teapot antique silver?

Discussion in 'Silver' started by curiousmedz, Dec 12, 2022.

1. curiousmedz

curiousmedz New Member

I had the teapot checked at a jewelry repair shop hoping to know more about it. The jeweler said it is only a plated reproduction. Is that true? What about the markings? Thank you very much in advance for any information you can share. 1670341339988.jpg 1670341339656.jpg 1670341339046.jpg 1670341338905.jpg

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Welcome, curiousmedz. We'll need a better look at those marks on the bottom, but from what little I can make out, I think your jeweler may be right. At least the surface does not appear to be silver.

komokwa, Figtree3 and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  3. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

Has the look of pewter to me but WDIK.

Helping the OP out a bit:

Screenshot (107).png

komokwa, Figtree3 and Bakersgma like this.
  4. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

Hi. If it was an antique, I would suspect there would be signs of wear. Do you see any scratches on the bottom, marks or dings. Does the interior look like it ever held tea?

Bakersgma likes this.
  5. Bakersgma

Likely to have been made of the alloy called Paktong - similar to what in the West we call "German silver" or alpacca and Nickel silver.

curiousmedz, komokwa and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  6. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

That's cast. Probably a zinc tin lead mix.

curiousmedz likes this.
  7. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Older Tetsubin were generally made of cast iron,some were also inlaid w/various types of metals including gold and silver.
    This could be as suggested a more modern alloy version.

Any Jewelry, curiousmedz and komokwa like this.
  8. curiousmedz

curiousmedz New Member

thank you very much. i am happy to have found this forum. there are so much information here. i have read some of the previous posts and i found the threads very helpful.

9. curiousmedz

curiousmedz New Member

thank you for replying. i am very happy and grateful for all the replies and the time you all spared for my post. yes, when i first got the teapot, the stains were all over it. i scrubbed it clean with baking soda and salt until the inside became whiter. there are some scratches too, and the scratches are shiny and white. i am thinking of scrubbing the exterior too so the shine will come out but my sister said i will be ruining it if it is really antique so i should have it checked by a jeweler first. and that's how it came to this. i'm sorry, realized i didn't have good quality pictures of the teapot, i will try to take more focused close up pictures when i get home. but most scratches are on the side, not much on the bottom.

Attached Files:

10. Bakersgma

Your sister is right - do not try to make the outside shinier. It won't work and will ruin the look the maker intended!

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted