Need help / opinions of a hobbyist painted stein please.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by bercrystal, Mar 22, 2017.

1. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

I found this a while back & decided it was time to get it out of the house. When I first started my research I found an oil painting that was very similar to the image on this stein, but now it is no where to be found. :(:(:(

I know this type of item has fallen out of favor, but I haven't been able to find any other hobbyist painted steins. The painting is fairly well done, but the image is fairly disturbing considering that this was a wedding present. :jawdrop::jawdrop::eek::eek::confused::confused: The inscription on the bottom is "here's to the health of the bride and groom. December ????".

It is 6 7/8" to the side edge.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks for any & all advice or opinions!!! :kiss::kiss:

KingofThings likes this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

kinda weird for a wedding......cept if you're an estate owner..
    it's lovely !

KingofThings and judy like this.
  3. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

The stein itself looks like a 1900 - 1920's blank. I'm afraid we'll likely never know who made it - these were imported by the thousands. Once prohibition hit steins fell out of fashion. The subject matter is umm, different, but game decorations were actually common enough on pieces like Limoges around 1900 or so. Much later and it would have shown an art deco decoration. That being said, with hobbyist painting you never know for sure. There was an obituary in our paper just the other day about a locally renowned china painter who had just passed away. Apparently she taught and ran a small china painting operation here in town for several decades. And I think we still have a category for china painting at the county fair. No reason a talented china painter couldn't turn one of these out today. It's a shame the date is unreadable.
    Don

KingofThings likes this.
  4. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Don - Thank you for your thoughts!! :kiss::kiss:

I agree with you 100% about the subject matter. :eek::eek:

I have tried holding it at every angle possible & using a loupe but I just can not make out anything but the month. :(:(

I may just have to run this one up the ebay flagpole to see if there is possibly any interest in this piece. :p:p

dgbjwc and KingofThings like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted