Need help on a 41" Officer's Sword

Discussion in 'Militaria' started by jingyel, Jul 22, 2024.

1. jingyel

jingyel Well-Known Member

hello,

I found this sword from a local estate sale.
    Please find attached photos.
    I wonder if anyone could tell me the age and origin of this sword?

Thank you for the help! Screenshot 2024-07-22 204436.png Screenshot 2024-07-22 204458.png Screenshot 2024-07-22 204518.png Screenshot 2024-07-22 204552.png Screenshot 2024-07-22 204436.png Screenshot 2024-07-22 204458.png Screenshot 2024-07-22 204518.png Screenshot 2024-07-22 204552.png Screenshot 2024-07-22 205016.png Screenshot 2024-07-22 204436.png Screenshot 2024-07-22 204458.png Screenshot 2024-07-22 204518.png Screenshot 2024-07-22 204552.png Screenshot 2024-07-22 205016.png

Any Jewelry and the blacksmith like this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

It doesn't look very old to me. The company is still in business but as far as I can tell no longer makes swords. If I were guessing, and I don't know knives well, this is a fairly modern officer's dress weapon. It was manufactured in Solingen, Germany if that's any help.

https://www.eickhorn-solingen.de/en_GB

3. jingyel

jingyel Well-Known Member

Thank you for sharing the info. The seller told me it was from WWII.

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Boland, Marote, komokwa and 1 other person like this.
  5. the blacksmith

the blacksmith Well-Known Member

I am certainly no expert on these weapons, so this is just a sort of educated hunch, but I believe that this is a Third Reich period Unteroffiziere (NCO's) sword. There are several types, but many had the plain brass hilt, and this seems to fit that type.
    I do not think that the sword knot belongs to this weapon.

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  6. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I think the blade has been chromed well after it was made.

komokwa likes this.
  7. the blacksmith

I can well understand why you say that, but I think it is actually polished nickel, and period. I have seen other swords of the period in this condition and with this colour nickel plate, though they are rare in this condition.
    In order to plate the blade the sword would need to be disassembled, and this one doesn't appear to have been.

komokwa likes this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

komokwa likes this.
  9. the blacksmith

No, they are not rare as such, but they are rare in this condition!

komokwa likes this.
  10. daveydempsey

You are probably right, I was comparing it to a 22 inch WWI German bayonet I have, that has been chromed, you can see were the chrome is coming off near the guard.

20240723_163257.jpg

20240723_163247.jpg

20240723_163224.jpg

komokwa, the blacksmith and sabre123 like this.
  11. the blacksmith

German 1898 pattern bayonet, 75th Regiment, 8th Company, weapon number 101. made by WKC (Weyersburg, Kirschbaum & Cie.). I have seen a number of these bayonets with the plated finish, most not in as good condition as this example it must be said!
    The plating on the sword is probably what would be described as mint, as is the scabbard.
    The NCO's swords do not seem to turn up nearly as often as the various officers patterns. Perhaps because of their plain handles they were not deemed as pretty and therefore not so many have been kept ?

Last edited: Jul 23, 2024
    komokwa and daveydempsey like this.
  12. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

The bobble looks like an English-language pun: Eickhorn/acorn.

daveydempsey and komokwa like this.
  13. daveydempsey

'From Little Acorns, Mighty Oak Trees Grow' :cool:
    'From Little Eickhorn, Mighty Oak Trees Grow':stop: :D

Bronwen and komokwa like this.
  14. the blacksmith

Near enough, and understandable, but Eickhorn means a squirrel.

The logo with the squirrel and the sword was the last version of their logo, though the logo in one form or another was in use since the company was founded by Carl Eickhorn in 1865. Evidently the squirrel mark was actually first used by a swordsmith, Pieter Lörbach, in 1610 (according to 'The Sword and Bayonet Makers of Imperial Germany 1871-1918', by John Walter).

Any Jewelry, Bronwen and komokwa like this.
  15. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Ditto. Eichhornch in High German.
    Acorn is Eichel in German. From Eiche, oak.

the blacksmith likes this.
  16. TreaShore

TreaShore Member

Adding a bit more to the conversation. Nickel/Chroming blades of swords and bayonets is thought to have been a practice of veterans who kept the items as "souvenirs/spoils of war." There is also a portion of swords and blades that were designed to have these finishes for ceremonial purposes or "parade" attire. I recall seeing this most commonly with German, Prussian and Japanese blades. Even US swords, such as the Army m1902 and Marines mameluke, have nickel coated scabbards and some have the blades done too. For a reference, look at the "Army Officer Type 19 Kyu-Gunto Parade Dress Swords" (resource linked below) as this is the most common example that comes to mind.

I am unfamiliar with the plating process, but I think it is safe to assume the blade is plated before assembly. You may want to look at the pommel to see if it looks like the blade and handle had been separated after its original manufacturing. Tell tale signs would be excessive scratches and/or an uneven fit between the steel of the sword's tang and the brass handle. I can't really see well from the angles in the photo.

Either way it is a pretty sword. My instinct and the assessment tell me it is in the original condition and was designed this way. Hope this helps a little.

Source 1: https://www.ima-usa.com/products/or...l-plated-parade-officer-s-sword-with-scabbard

Draft saved Draft deleted