Need help learning how to date a lamp

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Lori Lynn, Nov 20, 2020.

1. Lori Lynn

Lori Lynn New Member

I acquired an oriental lamp am am having trouble researching how to date it or value it. This is what I think so far?

PRESS UL would be after 1895 and before 1906 when they started with "certified" as part of a label but no candle power (25 CP) or watts (40W) stamped on the socket puts it before 1910 when it became law. Cord makes it seem more in the 1950s so I don't know if it was redone or if that is the socket date as well.

Called a Ginger Jar lamp?? I called it an Urn lamp but that doesn't seem to be correct.

Definitely hand painted porcelain but not chips, cracks, or excessive crazing. Glaze is thick and a little discolored in a couple small spots.

Wood base has maker's mark(?) burned into it that I haven't found. You can barely see the shape when looking at the base but it shows up dark and bold will a flash. Paper tags missing. It also was obviously glued to a pedestal or something at some point.

Has old type screws in base and on socket rather than more common Phillips screws.

Of anyone could educate me on this lamp (and what to look for in the future) I would really appreciate it. A ballpark value would also be helpful. There is no shade with the lamp and it does work.

Thanks!

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

too big to be called a ginger jar......imo...

nice colors on the vase....what size is it?

Lori Lynn likes this.
  3. komokwa

can u remove the wood to see the markings on the base of the vase..?

4. blooey

blooey Well-Known Member

Having had a good look at your lamp (which is very nice btw!) there are a few observations that come to mind ... first is of course that isn't a dragon but a Shishi or "lion dog".
    The vase is hand decorated, very precisely with the enamels being very carefully applied, almost too (!) carefully for the age of the piece, which I'm almost sure is fairly contemporary with the mounts.
    On first glance, I believed I was looking at a Chinese piece but after viewing the close-up photos, I see the very fine crackle in the clear glaze. Chinese pieces don't look like this, so I believe this is a Japanese piece decorated in the Chinese style.
    To me, that would explain the rather uncharacteristic precision of the decoration given the era of it's production - which I believe to be first quarter of the 20thc.

i need help, Lori Lynn and komokwa like this.
  5. Lori Lynn

Lori Lynn New Member

It's pretty big. Which is why I went away from an Urn. I just measured and the vase is 1ft tall and 34 inches around at the widest point. Lamp is 2 ft tall total. I didn't think about trying to take the base off. I don't have small enough screwdrivers at my booth (where the lamp is stored) but will try that

6. Lori Lynn

Lori Lynn New Member

Wow! Thanks for so much great information! Are lamps typically dated by the body instead of the fixtures or is it sort of the whole package blended together?

7. komokwa

It's good , if possible to date both.....
    hardware can be switched out.....
    some vases are made to be lamps....
    some can be turned into lamps...

Lori Lynn likes this.
  8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I have lamp purchased brand new in 1972 that has the same plug.

Lori Lynn likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted