Need Help Identifying Wedgwood "Plymouth"

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by JDE, Aug 18, 2024.

1. JDE

JDE New Member

Hello everyone,

I've recently inherited a tea set, and I'm trying to learn more about its history and potential value. It's a Wedgwood piece, but I’m having difficulty finding more information. What I’ve gathered so far is that:

• it does not seem to be a very old piece, given the absence of the three-letter date code;
    • some coding differs between pieces, but the number 8009 is there on almost every piece. However, searches did not result in any information about this;
    • I did not manage to identify the symbols that are there;
    • the pattern itself features floral designs, but I haven’t been able to match it to any known Wedgwood patterns I’ve seen online or in available catalogs.
    Given these details, I have a few questions:

1. Is "Plymouth" a known pattern or series by Wedgwood, or could it be something more unique or limited? I found this, but despite some similarities, it is not the pattern I have.
    2. What do these characteristics say about its potential age or production period?
    3. Are there any resources or experts you recommend for further identification and information?
    I’ve attached some photos for your reference. I would greatly appreciate any guidance or insight from those familiar with Wedgwood or antique ceramics!

Thank you in advance for your help.

Best regards,
    Jerome 1723913671540.jpg 1723913671560.jpg 1723913671576.jpg

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  2. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I think it likely that "Plymouth" is not the pattern name but rather the shape/style name, and that HL 8009 is the pattern number/name.
    "Made in England" generally denotes post-1908 on Wedgwood.
    Googling indicates the Etruria factory closed in the 1940s.
    Your impressed WEDGWOOD mark is sans-serif and therefore post-1930.

THIS Etsy listing shows a set of "Plymouth" plates with very similar marks but a pattern number of AK 7488 (or 4488?).

Last edited: Aug 18, 2024
    Potteryplease, komokwa and kentworld like this.
  3. JB Miller

JB Miller Well-Known Member

I think the pattern is AL8009? If you look through Replacements there are listings for AL patterns but no HL.

What are the numbers on this item and the Etsy listing, 12F29 and 2V29? Are those date codes? Reading on various sites it seems Wedgwood started the month/workerletter/year date code in 1929-1930.

PotteriesOrg states in one paragraph 1929 (Commencing in 1929 the year mark is replaced by the last two digits of the year, 30 standing for 1930) then another paragraph they state after 1930. PotteriesOrg also states the sans-serif impressed Wedgwood started in 1929.

ww01.jpg

ww02.jpg

komokwa likes this.
  4. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

I agree the pattern code may likely begin with AL, not HL.
    I have no idea about the other numbers, maybe others here can help. :)

Last edited: Aug 18, 2024
  5. JDE

JDE New Member

Thank you so much for the quick responses and the help! That quickly narrows it down to 1929, most likely. This was very helpful; thanks again!

kentworld and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted