Need Help Identifying Vintage Floor Lamp

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by John McDonald, Mar 9, 2023.

1. John McDonald

John McDonald New Member

2. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Last edited: Mar 10, 2023
  3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I took a look :eek:. Have never seen a lamp quite like that. Believe it to be made up of disparate parts.

4. John McDonald

John McDonald New Member

AC8689E2-977C-414E-B4C2-6A9FF46AA12A.jpeg Seems weird, purchased it at an estate sale, in a barn covered with dust that had tons of antiques. Seems like it goes together like it should. Thanks

Born2it and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  5. baltojoe75

baltojoe75 Well-Known Member

That lamp is made up of pieces of other lamps. The elements are all too mix matched. The 2nd glass piece from the top looks like it is just sitting inside of the piece below it. Almost always, glass pieces are set in a brass or a similar metal cup to protect the edges of the glass. The glass cup at the bottom is from a chandelier. It would have sat just below the light socket

Bakersgma and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Hello @John McDonald & welcome to the forum!!! :happy::happy:

"Lamp guys" or anyone who deals in lamps are known for doing what has been described above.

About 25 years ago I was shopping around for a floor lamp but was not finding what I wanted. I stopped into a store that exclusively dealt in lampshades along with other accessories for your lighting needs but also sold some new style lamps.

I did not see anything that captured my attention so the owner suggested I check out the back room. That room was filled with pieces & parts of every style lamp you could imagine. He then proceeded to put together a floor lamp for me from the different pieces & parts. We then went back out front and found a shade & a finial. I picked up a fully functional floor lamp a few days later that I used up until about 5 years ago when we moved into a new house. :D

I would later learn that this guy would go to auctions, estate sales, etc. where he would buy lamps regardless if they were in good shape or not just to get the parts. He also had a booth at a local antique mall where he would sell his "creations" as well as some replacement parts for antique & vintage lighting.

Draft saved Draft deleted