Need help identifying this metal plate!

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Jenna Barber, Jan 6, 2024.

1. Jenna Barber

Jenna Barber New Member

Not sure if it's pewter, it's very heavy and has some type of makers mark on the back! Help!

Attached Files:

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

3. Jenna Barber

Jenna Barber New Member

I cant find this exact plate on the internet. The back of the plate on the only one I found online is different and doesn't have the makers mark

4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

You do see that it has lettering around the central figure? It would be helpful if you provided a close-up photograph. That would help you with your identification.

Debora

Jenna Barber likes this.
  5. Jenna Barber

Jenna Barber New Member

6. Jenna Barber

Jenna Barber New Member

I uploaded Close ups now!

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Given the quality of its casting, I don't think your plate is terribly old. The lettering reads "EBERHARD" followed by letters I can't read, then "DUX" which is Latin for leader and then "WIRD" which is German for "becomes."

Debora

20240106_144303.jpg

Figtree3 likes this.
  8. Jenna Barber

Jenna Barber New Member

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yours appears to be a crude copy. Where did you get it? And what were you told about it? (By way, seller says full wording of one in your link is "Eberhard D. C. Dux WIRD.")

Debora

LA451050_67138.jpg

10. Jenna Barber

Jenna Barber New Member

I got it at a thrift store they didn't say anything about it

11. Jenna Barber

Jenna Barber New Member

Apparently not a "crude copy" as lost art emailed me back and says it looks like it's the same plate by the same manufacturer. 19th century.

12. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

what is ..lost art ?

Draft saved Draft deleted