Need help identifying this early 1900's kitchen table and chairs

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by S Glanz, Aug 4, 2022.

1. S Glanz

S Glanz New Member

IMG_1879.jpeg IMG_1881.jpeg IMG_1883.jpeg Need help identifying the decade this kitchen table was made and what style would you call it and if anyone knows the maker of it and is this paint called pickling? or white washing?. The table is made of wood, the top is in great condition and has a design stamped into 2 of the top corners and the edge has a decorative molding. The table has a leaf. The chairs are also made of wood, with some kind of vinyl seat covers that are in good condition but the chairs themselves have lots of wear to the original paint because of being handled with dirty hands. Any and all information is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2022
    judy and LauraGarnet02 like this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

More like 1930s. I think at some point someone "pickled" it,wich was very popular in the 80s.

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

The detail on the table corners is Art Deco but neither the vinyl nor wood surfaces appears to be of that era.

Debora

Bakersgma likes this.
  4. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

Lets see the bottoms of a chair and table for construction clues.

5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

40s-50s deco-ish. Finish looks original to me.

Roaring20s likes this.
  6. S Glanz

S Glanz New Member

Finish has to be original because the same finish on the chairs with is very worn. Also all chairs and table the the hand written number 548 all under them. The design on the two corners of the table top remind me of Rancho Montery, do you think it's possible this is that style of kitchen table?

7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Not really. More typical of low to mid price Midwestern makers.

Roaring20s likes this.
  8. S Glanz

S Glanz New Member

There you go, picture of bottom of a chair and bottom of table....

Attached Files:

LauraGarnet02 likes this.
  9. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

I searched for Kerf Corner Bracket in the hope to find an article discussing its development. I did not find any. I do not know when this type of bracket started to be used, but I think they were in use in the 30s. Not much help, but that's all I got. ;)

Any Jewelry likes this.
  10. Fern77

Fern77 Well-Known Member

As said above, not early 1900s but 1930s-40s hideously refinished so long ago, it might look original to you. It looks like bleached oak, but might be ash. Nothing in the number--it is just a job number, put there by the maker, carpenter who refinished them, upholsterer, etc. Not altogether unpleasing timid art deco form, but would need work and $ to look good again.

johnnycb09 and Roaring20s like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted