Need help identifying dining rooms chairs

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by dietz1977, May 6, 2016.

1. dietz1977

dietz1977 New Member

Hi- Forgive me for my ignorance. I am new to antique furniture. I picked up a dining room set at an estate sale. I have to buffet, hutch and other chairs stored, but I was hoping someone could identify this chair. Era, style,type of wood, value? I was told two different stories. I was told it was english tudor from the 1920's, and I was also told it was a pineapple design from the 1900's. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks![​IMG]

lauragarnet and yourturntoloveit like this.
  2. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Circa 1920 is about right. Not so much Tudor but more William and Mary. However, really just "traditional" as it does not reproduce any style exactly. Looks like walnut or non-descript wood stained to mimic walnut but hard to tell from this pic. The other option would be mahogany or stained mahogany finish. A look at the table and/or case goods might be necessary to tell the wood.

3. dietz1977

dietz1977 New Member

Thank you very much. I've added some more photos. Hopefully this helps. Is there a market for these items? I appreciate any and all help. Thanks![​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

New pics confirm the 20s date. Pics are too poor to identify wood still. The close-up of the chair looks more like mahogany than walnut since it is so red. Is it really this red in real life? Market for such really varies on location, sales venue, how fast you need to sell, willing to ship, etc., etc. In general, values are down for old furniture, even in good original condition as this seems to be. A set like this (buffet, server, table w/ 6 chairs) could go as low as $200.00 at auction here in rural Midwest or as high as $1000.00 at retail. I suspect the realistic value is somewhere in between. You might do better in big cities or coastal locations.

komokwa likes this.
  5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Here we class this as Brown Furniture.
    It's lovely, well made, classy, stylish....and no one wants it anymore !

Draft saved Draft deleted