Need help identifying and approximating worth of a bunch of antique furniture

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by enormitydave, Sep 4, 2021.

1. enormitydave

enormitydave New Member

My grandfather passed away recently, leaving behind a house full of nice furniture. What we don't keep we are looking to sell for a reasonable amount. I'm aware it's a bear market right now, but we're not just trying to give this stuff away. If you knowledgeable folks could give me a better idea of what we have here and offer general advice on how to proceed, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Also, I don't know if it's pertinent, but I've read that from around '70-90 was a boom time for these kinds of antiques, and I believe that's when most of these pieces were purchased.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
  2. enormitydave

enormitydave New Member

3. enormitydave

enormitydave New Member

I took two pictures each of these pieces:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

judy, Ghopper1924 and moreotherstuff like this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Well, first of all, SO SORRY for your loss.......and it looks like your grandfather had lovely taste!! Wow!!!! QUITE a houseful!!! I'm going to tag a couple of our experts who should be able to be pretty helpful to you! Where are you located, generally, if I may ask?? That might be very helpful! @Ghopper1924, @verybrad and it's getting late and all of a sudden I'm drawing a blank....but others will see and chime in, not to worry!!! AND, BTW, you did a wonderful job on your pictures!!! Keep checking back!!!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
    cxgirl and judy like this.
  5. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

My opinion on the corner cupboard (pics 3 & 4) is that is probably only dates to the 1960s, perhaps into the early 70s. Wood most likely is maple.

You have some lovely old pieces! I'll let the experts give their opinions on the rest.

judy, James Conrad and Aquitaine like this.
  6. enormitydave

enormitydave New Member

Thank you. I imagine my grandmother probably deserves most of the credit lol. I'm in Middle Tennessee.

judy, Ghopper1924 and Aquitaine like this.
  7. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Nice quality, mostly mid-level late Victorian walnut furniture, with a maple and mahogany piece thrown in. Most looks to have been refinished. Nothing real valuable, I'd expect to see $25 (rocking chairs) up to $500-$1000 (larger desks). You'll have to look at sold items on e-bay to get realistic prices for each of them in your area, or you might want to check local auction house results.

cxgirl, Aquitaine, judy and 2 others like this.
  8. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

That one secretary is gorgeous, but hard to resell. Rocking chairs are deader than Jacob Marley. Beautiful stuff, but a tough slog to sell.

judy and James Conrad like this.
  9. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Nice inheritance. Really like that plain square little cabinet with all the drawers.

cxgirl, Aquitaine and judy like this.
  10. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Nice lot. I imagine middle TN is a lot like my market in central IL. Hard sell on anything these days. Agree that the corner cabinet is just used furniture. Not sure about the second clock. Rest are antique or nearly so. Will give you what I would try to get by selling on the open market (vs. in my own shop at retail). Be prepared to negotiate anything but especially the seating pieces. Please seek other opinions (here and/or elsewhere). You might consider the auction route if you have a quality one nearby.

Walnut marble top server circa 1870.... $250
    Late Classical mahogany dresser circa 1850..... $175
    Corner cabinet .... $100 (they tend to sell well, even if not old)
    Victorian chair .... $85
    Victorian sofa .... $150
    20th century Chippendale-esque tilt-top (?) table... $80
    20s sofa table $75
    Upholstered chair .... $50
    Victorian sofa .... $150
    Gate-leg table .... $100
    Eastlake setee.... $75
    Empire card table ... $125
    Transitional Victorian sofa ..... $200
    Late classical dresser .... $125
    Victorian baloon-back chair $85
    Renaissance revival marble top table ... $175
    Tool chest mounted on legs (?) .... $150
    Platform rocker .... $35
    Renaissance revival wash stand ... $200
    Renaissance revival rocker .... $35
    Tiger maple candle stand ..... This piece might be worth haveing a better look at.
    Cylinder secretary .... $350
    Long case wall clock .... $175 (A bit out of my expertise so might want another opinion)
    Wall clock .... $25 (if not old)
    2 tier occasional table circa 1940 .... $75
    Walnut plant stand .... $30
    3 tier stand .... $65 (backwards in picture)
    Cylinder desk .... $200
    Mahogany secretary .... $450
    20th century Chippendale-esque drop front .... $85

Last edited: Sep 5, 2021
  11. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Dave!

Welcome to Antiquers..............:cat:

Lovely furniture!

The little doll in the 8th photo could be a Ginny doll by Vogue. I can't tell if it's hard plastic or made of composition.

But somewhat still collectible today, but not like yesterday!

Aquitaine likes this.
  12. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Again a great,informative and detailed reply!

Ghopper1924 and judy like this.
  13. enormitydave

enormitydave New Member

Thanks so much for your help. I really appreciate it.
    Can you tell me what each piece would have been worth back when they were appreciated, maybe the 70's or 80's, or whenever they were most valuable?

14. enormitydave

enormitydave New Member

Thanks to all who responded and helped me with this.
    I apologize for the delayed appreciation to you all.
    I've been staying over at my Dad's house for a few days and we are debating about what would be the best way to try to sell these items for the best price.
    My Dad is pretty crushed that they aren't worth more, as he said that his parents paid far more than that back in the 60's and 70's when they bought them.
    Of course, they just assumed that they would increase in value in the years to come. I wish that we had room to keep them all until the market appreciates them again, but that time may never come again.

15. enormitydave

enormitydave New Member

When you say auction route, do you think that we will make more $ by auctioning them? How about a well-advertised estate sale? Which one do you think would bring more overall?

16. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

One thing to keep in mind, is that your grandparents got years & years worth of enjoyment out of the lovely furniture. (just went thru this recently when dealing with a family member's estate. . .small family, most didn't want or need furniture & it was very sad to see items sell for so little. . .sigh)

17. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

I'm also located in mid TN. Depending on your specific location you might want to consider a auction company like Bob Parks. It can become a bit daunting to try to deal with everything. My neighbors went thru' this a couple years back and attempted estate/garage sales for a few weeks and finally ended you letting Parks handle the online auction for them. May be worth giving them a call if in your area. I think they have a basic fee and then a percentage. The online market around here typically seems to do okay. Parks deals with the household personal property and/or the real estate as well.
    here's a Parks link if interested:
    Personal Property Auctions (bobparksauction.com)

anundverkaufen likes this.
  18. enormitydave

enormitydave New Member

You're right, and I have thought that too. They bought it for their pleasure and they did enjoy it, that's what really matters the most.

wiscbirddog likes this.
  19. enormitydave

enormitydave New Member

I'll definitely keep this in mind, and may end up going this route. Thanks for your help.

20. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Have been out of town, so late to respond. Values are about 1/3 (give or take) what they were in the hey-day. It is a daunting task to try and sell items as an individual. My experience on facebook marketplace and craigslist has been frustrating, with a lot of bargain hunters wanting deep discounts. many people express interest but do not follow through. Selling at auction is a lot easier but also riskier. Do your homework and look at completed auxtion prices and probably attend an auction to see for yourself before committing to one. Expect at least a 25% selling fee. Another option might be consignment. You have a bit more control over price but expect to pay 50% comission on retail. Unfortunately, antiques (and most other items) are expensive when buying and cheap when selling. It has always been this way but the current market exacerbates this.

Ghopper1924 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted