Need help identify this print and signature.

Discussion in 'Art' started by Kaiserpoo, Jun 17, 2023.

1. Kaiserpoo

Kaiserpoo Well-Known Member

Need help identify this print and signature. Thx IMG_5319.jpeg IMG_5317.jpeg IMG_5318.jpeg IMG_5320.jpeg

2. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Looks like 'Clay McGaughy', to ME! The Aristocrat? That doesn't mean I'm right!!:happy::happy:

3. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

That label on the back doesn't seem to have anything to do with the print. It doesn't look like an engraving to me. I think the frame and backing have probably been reused. Who knows: there may be an engraving hiding under that print.

I also don't understand why a label like that wouldn't include the name of the artist, even if it is a re-strike.

Here's a Clay McGaughy print on eBay. It has a label on the back from the same company, but that label names the artist:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/144876404659

Bakersgma and Aquitaine like this.
  4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Here 'tis, sold on LiveAuctioneers in February!

Clay McGaughy.jpg

5. Kaiserpoo

Thanks guys. I guess can’t read signature that well. That’s real amazing

6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

There is a conspiracy among painters to make their signatures illegible, I know that for a fact.:shifty::smuggrin::playful:
    Clay McGaughy didn't try hard enough to disguise his siggy, or he may have taken pity on buyers and forumites.;)

Aquitaine, Bronwen and Bakersgma like this.
  7. Kaiserpoo

I know doctors make hand writing illegible to avoid lawsuits, probable deniability.

Aquitaine likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted