Need help getting info on this piece of pottery. IDs or leads. Thanks!

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by UserUnknown, May 24, 2015.

1. UserUnknown

UserUnknown Active Member

Have scoured the internet, art history books, price guide books. Even took it to a fundraiser appraisal event. Have not been able to get much info. Was told majolica around the late 19th century, possibly Portugese. Also told by another antiques seller to look up French Majolica. I have looked at every thing I can think of but nothing I have come across matches this close enough for me to be satisfied. I did come across a famous, possibly obscure, artist that did something that struck me as similar. It was part of a stove. When I read about him it stated that he did designs for majolica. He also had people that he worked with and that he mentored. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. The first picture is the entire piece as I have it, just with the background blacked out. Second is an up close of one of the eight sides (each side is different). The third is the bottom. Thanks!

Attached Files:

KingofThings likes this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

How big is that thing? My first thought is Italian, some kind of font.

3. UserUnknown

It is about 5" high and 9 1/2" wide. Have been looking at Italian pottery, but not as a font. Many of the depictions are of a religious nature. I am not familiar, is font a generic name or is it specific to Holy Water? Also, there is lettering in one of the panes that I cannot quite make out. Perhaps, VENPRI or VENPRIO, but the "N" looks odd like it may be missing the upward stroke. And I was not positive about the other letters. Have been searching different alphabets as well. Thank you for the input as I will research fonts now. Anything else you may come to think of, please let me know.

KingofThings likes this.
  4. UserUnknown

Also, the lady looks to me like a figurehead from a ship. It is one of the few constants as she adorns it on all eight corners.

Attached Files:

KingofThings likes this.
  5. UserUnknown

Of course, the octagon shape that I have researched has it's own religious symbolism. And, thanks to your help, see it is common for these. :shame: Thank you!

KingofThings likes this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Also, there is lettering in one of the panes that I cannot quite make out. Perhaps, VENPRI or VENPRIO, but the "N" looks odd like it may be missing the upward stroke.

Can we see that ?
    A lot of naked bodies....my 1st thought was India or Nepal..!

& the beehive headgear.....humm....

KingofThings likes this.
  7. UserUnknown

I cannot get the lettering to show up in the pictures, can barely see it with the eye. The beehive headdress led me to Bashkir, Kazan, Tartar, and Omphalos . Then, eventually to a site that talked about saints and artists depictions and imagery used to associate the art to the saint. Several were associated with beehives. It is interesting to note that the persons with the beehives all have wings, whereas the ones with other headdress do not. There are also pictures of what I believe are a baptism, The Last Supper, winged beasts like griffins, lions. The piece has so many elements that remind me of different areas and cultures. That is one of the things that has kept me so confused. I will work on getting other pictures on here. Thanks!

KingofThings likes this.
  8. UserUnknown

Thought that it should be noted... I have been researching everything I can think of just to see if something leads me to this, not that i believe that it is of some historical significance other than what it is. I find it beautiful and someone put many details into it that probably have some sort of signifigance to what it is or from an artistic view. The battle of good and evil? Was it from a port town? Can't imagine it being actually on the ship. The most obvious leads had been seemingly exhausted to me. Thanks.

9. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

Where are you located? I find large items usually do not travel very far from the area that made them unless originally from a church or large institution that could afford to ship a big heavy piece. For example, if in Calif I would suggest looking at Batchhelder Tile or if on the east coast Pewabic or one of the many pottery and tile companies that did large installations.

10. UserUnknown

No it is much smaller than that. 5" x 9". And this is the only piece I have. If there was more to it I have never had it. Will look at these companies though. Thanks!

Draft saved Draft deleted