Necklace with carved jade beads

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Jason Karras, Aug 3, 2023.

1. Jason Karras

Jason Karras New Member

Any thoughts on this necklace? It is 15" with 0.5" carved jade beads. The clasp is marked sterling. It is pretty fragile, needs restringing. I am mostly wondering if the beads are anything special, like of old Chinese origin someone then made a necklace of?

Attached Files:

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

here ya go...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Figtree3, reader, Dessert58 and 6 others like this.
  3. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Hey, MODS, @daveydempsey or whoever runs the show???? What's happening with so many members or new members images showing up as TEXT when they try to post their images??? Does ANYONE know??? Some of us can often get them up by some slight changes, but I don't think size is the problem as they're usually UNDER the 1 MB limit.....WHOOPS.....sorry Johnny, looks like I finished a bit too late!!! taking mine down!!!

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'm not a jade expert, but I'd be wondering what the stone really is. Also if I really wanted to mess with the stringing.

Figtree3, IvaPan and johnnycb09 like this.
  5. Satin In A Coffin

Satin In A Coffin Well-Known Member

Is it possible it could be aquamarine or some other stone? But yes, to me they seem special. Deeply carved older looking Shou beads. But I am no expert on age. Clasp is an older style too. I love these kinds of beads!

kyratango and IvaPan like this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I'm not seeing jade.....

kyratango and IvaPan like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It looks like a necklace made in China, or possibly by a Chinese professional maker outside China, for instance Ming's of Hawaii.

The beads are Chinese made, and carved with Shou characters, an auspicious symbol for longevity.

8. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Ming's is most always well marked, I don't see the high quality of Ming's here.
    The little set of 4 seed pearls with the thread showing is just one clue that it would not be Ming's.

Nowadays, I see joolz being marked "Ming's" with an electric dremel tool! :rolleyes:

johnnycb09, Any Jewelry and kyratango like this.
  9. Any Jewelry

I don't either, I mentioned Ming's as an example of makers of Chinese origin outside China. I should have put it better.:sorry:

Figtree3 and johnnycb09 like this.
  10. Satin In A Coffin

Satin In A Coffin Well-Known Member

It's possible that the necklace has been restrung at some point and the pearl segments added. Since it needs restrung again I would remove them and replace with something different, depending on the length you would like the end result to be.

11. evelyb30

Rose quartz or amethyst seem to be the standard options. Goldstone might look good too, or rhodochrosite if you can find some. I'd mess around with beads on hand and see what you like.

12. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

pffft! no worries!
    The only places I've ever actually hand examined REAL Ming's jewelry has been in Hawaiian antique shops with estate joolz. I've drooled over some of the pieces, but never bought any, too expensive! :)

Any Jewelry likes this.
  13. evelyb30

I've seen a piece here and there at price$, and sold an ivory carving once good enough to have been from Ming's. It wasn't, but it was that good. (sold FAST before the ban came down.) Ecstatic buyer said she'd seen pieces in Hawaii when her dad was stationed there, but her family never had the money to buy any.

I'm always hoping I'll find some unheralded in an antique store.

antidiem likes this.
  14. Any Jewelry

I actually saw a piece here in the Netherlands, would you believe.:jawdrop: One of those beautiful necklaces with a traditional Chinese jade dragon belt hook, and genuine Ming's, not a copy. Unfortunately the belt hook was broken and glued, and the price was too high in spite of the damage.:(

They made some beautiful 'stuff', right up my alley.:)

Figtree3 and antidiem like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted